ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Changing the colour of a moving object quickly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bailey PalmerChanging the colour of a moving object quickly
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 3:28:25 am

Hi all,

we have a client who would like a grey pencil in our media changed to black. Complicating it, there is a lot of grey through out the image, meaning the change to colour effect is not working as we would like.

I have tried using the roto brush, but it is time consuming, and we have a lot of these shots and a real lack of time.

I would really appreciate any advice, or even a direction to go in. Thank you!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Changing the colour of a moving object quickly
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 2:52:38 pm
Last Edited By John Cuevas on Apr 14, 2014 at 2:53:38 pm

One way or another you have to isolate the pencil, either though rotoscope or some kind of channel isolation. You might want to try putting a rough junk matte around the pencil, then trying a change to color effect.

If you have time, post a screen grab of your video, as it might spark some different ideas/experiments people might try to isolate it.

Direction I would go in would be to tell the client, "We can do this, it will cost X amount of dollars per hour and it will roughly be this many hours, how would you like to proceed on the pencil color change?"

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved