ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Rain Scene

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer AdamsRain Scene
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:14:29 am
Last Edited By Jennifer Adams on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:29:52 am

Hi everyone,

I have a question about creating a rain scene in After Effects.
I will be shooting Day for Night (or Day for Evening), and adding a rain effect, drizzle, etc. to make the scene rainy. One thing I'm not sure about is how to recreate the splashes of raindrops that hit the surfaces in the foreground.

Here's a picture that resembles what I'll be shooting to make this more clear:
There's a car stopped on the roadside, and the drops of rain would be hitting the roof of the car, the windows etc., causing little splashes when each one hits. Drizzle doesn't recreate this, since it essentially a flat plane and even when implemented as a 3D layer layed over the surfaces, it only creates ripples and not splashes.

Does anyone know how this can be done?
Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Andrea Di BerardinoRe: Rain Scene
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 2:14:09 pm

If i understand correctly what you need, maybe you can try to watch this.

Andrea Di Berardino

Return to posts index

Jennifer AdamsRe: Rain Scene
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 4:37:58 pm

Thanks Andrea. That tutorial isn't really what I'm looking for, since it only uses Drizzle for the ripples, but doesn't simulate the splash of water on the ground. I actually figured it out to a certain extent using Particular with Bounce and Aux System to simulate these collisions of the drops with the terrain. I'm still having a hard time with two problems, though:

1) To define to floor layer in the Bounce feature, I created a layer with a grid and tried to align it with the ground, but am still having a very hard time manipulating the coordinates so that they fit. Does anyone have any tips for doing this? Seems like a common practice...

2) There are actually several surfaces that are hit by the rain - the ground, a car windshield, etc. Is there maybe a way to configure more than one floor layer in the Bounce feature?

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Rain Scene
by on Apr 13, 2014 at 5:40:53 pm

This Particular preset might do the job for you - looks pretty good:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Rain Scene
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:25:44 pm

The bounce feature in Particular lets you have two layers: a floor and a second layer. That's it. This is not ideal for your situation, but might be workable.

One way to line up the floor in your shot would be to have a moving shot and use the 3d tracker to create a matching floor.

That being said, you're more likely to get success at this with a 3d program and Thinking Particles or something similar.

However, you don't need to be going through all of this trouble. Your rain and your splashes don't need to be the same effect. With the speed at which rain falls, you don't need a raindrop to become a splatter. If you have splatters and raindrops happening, in full motion nobody will be able to see whether or not a splatter came from a specific rain drop. (That is, unless you have very little rain falling.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved