ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Previewing a video composition is painful

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cain NukePreviewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:11:09 pm

Hi,

i have After Effects CS5.5 and despite i have set it up so it uses most of my computer resources its really painful to go from frame to frame on the preview window, no matter what resolution i use. Not to mention its impossible to play the video and see it in real time because it lags a lot since it takes too long to load every scene.

My system is anything but weak, I have windows 7 on an alienware with intel core i7-2600K with 8 cores at 3.40GHZ with a 8GB RAM and an nVidia video card GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I know its not the ultimate computer but it should be more than enough, dont you think? What can i do to improve the preview rendering?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Tero AhlforsRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:24:13 pm

[Cain Nuke] "Not to mention its impossible to play the video and see it in real time because it lags a lot since it takes too long to load every scene. "

AE is not a realtime NLE. If you want to look something in realtime you'll have to RAM preview it.

Return to posts index

Cain NukeRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:36:51 pm

Sorry, but what does that mean? How can i do it?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:37:34 pm

You have to create a RAM preview to be able to watch your footage. Read about Previewing Audio and Video here.

If you're new to AE, I highly recommend that you start here. AE is not an editing program and behaves very differently from what you might expect. If you skip this sort of basic functionality, you will continue to be frustrated.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Cain NukeRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:52:08 pm

Thank you, that was useful. Im not exactly new to AE but im no expert either.

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:05:49 pm

Definitely need more ram. 8GB is way to low for AE work. I highly suggest you get to 16GB or 32GB ideally.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:56:04 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:53:30 pm

...and with only 8 gigs of RAM, turn off the multiprocessing, aka render multiple frames simultaneously. You don't have enough memory to use it effectively.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe CollingRe: Previewing a video composition is painful
by on Apr 12, 2014 at 8:47:06 pm

I noticed when updating to a SSD HD as a second drive, my speeds increased considerably. A good scratch drive is useful for any composition work. Hope that helps - Good luck. :D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]