ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Final render pauses between layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Perzan
Final render pauses between layers
on Apr 11, 2014 at 3:45:43 pm

I cannot seem to decipher this issue. Here are the specs:

- monster computer, no issues there (Win 8)
- 6 layers, all just uncompressed .avi files
- exporting (rendering) to an uncompressed .avi
- under "Render Settings", the "Frame Blending" is set to 'Off for all Layers'

This is a very simple project, nothing complicated at all. No effects, just 6 .avis I want to combine into 1 large one.

The final render has 2 second pauses between what I know are the layers. For example, at the 10 second mark, it will hold the last frame of Layer 1 for 2 seconds, then continue on to Layer 2. So, in the final render seconds 10, 11 and 12 are just a pause of a single frame, the last of Layer 1 I assume.

I am missing some default check box aren't I? Thanks advance.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Final render pauses between layers
on Apr 11, 2014 at 4:35:30 pm

AE's default lossless output module generates an intermediate file that is designed for additional post-production use, not direct playback. These files are generally huge, with very high data rates, and very few computers can play them back in real time without stuttering. For more, see this Adobe FAQ [link]: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

To help you choose a more suitable format for your needs, see the related Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?'>Adobe FAQ [link]: What is the best format for rendering and exporting from After Effects?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Matt Perzan
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:26:45 pm

Thanks Walter for your input. While that all makes sense, I tried a different render, something in a smaller, more compressed format. In this case an mp4. Same issue is occurring.

I was able to render it out in a jpg sequence, delete the "pauses", rename the files and render the jpg sequence again as an uncompressed avi. This means that it was only a single layer in the comp. No pauses, it rendered perfectly. I would like to avoid having to do all that though so I wonder if there is a setting I am missing. Something like a "layer blend when rendering"?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:14:53 pm

If you preview the comp, presumably you see the pauses there, too? Perhaps the precomps just run a little too long and need to be trimmed before you export?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Matt Perzan
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:23:47 pm

When doing a RAM preview of the affected areas, there is no problem. I also, as a test, rendered out the area that has the 2 second pause. 3 seconds before the pause and 3 seconds after and that and had no problem. Meaning the final had no pauses. But, when I render out the whole comp, 6 layers in total, there are exactly 2 second pauses between each layer transition. I am completely stumped.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 11, 2014 at 7:54:07 pm

[Matt Perzan] "I also, as a test, rendered out the area that has the 2 second pause. 3 seconds before the pause and 3 seconds after and that and had no problem. Meaning the final had no pauses. But, when I render out the whole comp, 6 layers in total, there are exactly 2 second pauses between each layer transition. I am completely stumped."

That's very odd. Have you tried emptying your disk cache? Resetting preferences?

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Matt Perzan
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:05:04 pm

Yes, i even removed it from the computer and re-installed. You are not aware of any setting that would create a 2 second pause on a single frame between layers? its odd that it exactly 2 seconds.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]