ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt chapmanGroup layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 5:53:58 pm

Hi everyone-
Was wondering about a little thing of project management. I have a 210 layer composition of about 9 seconds, broken into 3 stages (camera moves imported from Cinema 4D).

Since I am working on one shot but essentially 3 different backgrounds in "3D" space, I'd like to be able to group each of the different backgrounds, so that I can make them all shy at one time or pop back on.

Is there anyway to group layers and show/hide them all at once? I know you can color code layers but I wanted to be a little more complex than this.

I am not talking about pre-composing or parenting layers, only about project management.

Thanks
matt

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 6:39:43 pm

You can color code layers and you can select layers based on their color code.

There are some scripts out there that allow this kind of functionality in a pretty quick manner, so you might look for them.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 9:12:53 pm

Zorro, the Layer Tagger is a good choice for a script which allows you to group:

http://aescripts.com/zorro-the-layer-tagger/

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 2:22:42 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] "Zorro, the Layer Tagger is a good choice for a script which allows you to group:"

Yup. That would be the one I was thinking of.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:47:42 pm

I think I read that Adobe was planning on adding folders into comps in the near future. Not helpful to you right now, but good to know.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:51:17 pm

> I think I read that Adobe was planning on adding folders into comps in the near future.

Where did you read that?

See this page, specifically the section with the heading "layer folders":
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/12/top-after-effects-feature-reque...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

JP PelcRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Apr 21, 2014 at 5:07:06 pm

I read it your post that you linked to. I just had a foggy memory of what I read :)

Return to posts index

Michiel van HarenRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 1:43:24 pm
Last Edited By Michiel van Haren on Jul 13, 2015 at 1:45:55 pm

From the blogpost:
layer folders: A lot of folks ask for the ability to add layers to folders to tidy up their Timeline panels. We get it. So why haven’t we done it? Because we know that merely doing this would be a half-solution. As soon as we create a feature that allows you to put layers into folders in the Timeline panel, many people are going to want/expect to be able to apply, say, effects to just the layers in a folder. That starts to sound like a precomposition, right? So the conversation nearly always ends up getting back to the previous request, übertwirl. Similarly, once you’ve got folders, people will want/expect to be able to put non-adjacent layers into folders. Now this starts to sound like labeling/tagging. I’m not sure how we’re going to solve this, but I think that 1) we will solve this and 2) it’s not just going to be with simple layer folders. We get more requests to implement übertwirl, and it seems to us to be the more robust and useful solution. Personally, I use Zorro to manage my layers, and I strongly recommend that you try it yourself. Also, you can get rather far toward tidying up your Timeline panel and managing layer sets by using label colors and using the commands to select label color groups.

This has basically been Adobe's stance for the past 6 years (the same suggestions for Zorro etc... I've seen in the feature request thread on AE forums since 2009!).
They do not want to do "simple layer folders", even though many users would rather have had these "simple" folders than nothing.

And now it's 2015 and still there are no groups/folders...

Oh what's that you say? Someone already did it?

http://aescripts.com/layer-groups/

lol.
While Adobe has been busy for >5 years trying to think of a type of folders/groups that are so complicated that they will surely never see the light of day, this guy just basically did what Adobe refuses to do. Give use simple Photoshop-style groups/folders in the timeline.

It's sad that you have to now go and pay more money for something that should by now really have been part of AE's basic feature set, and it has to work with it's own interface buttons so it's not as elegant as a proper native solution could have been.

But hey at least it works, and sadly I do no really expect Adobe to ever deliver timeline folder or "ubertwirl" functionality to After Effects at all.

Return to posts index

Paul EstevesRe: Group layers without pre-composing (Project organization)
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 7:32:39 pm

I bought this one: http://aescripts.com/layer-groups/ It's really useful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]