ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Photoshop shapes/shape layers to AE intact?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Stuckert
Photoshop shapes/shape layers to AE intact?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:42:06 pm

Hello all,

Longtime listener first-time caller. I've searched around the forum for an answer to this and didn't find one so my apologies if it's been asked before. I think I know the answer to this question ("no") but I thought I'd ask. Say I draw an open path in PS, with a stroke/no fill as such:

And of course, when it's brought in to AE, the path is closed and no attributes are retained:

I was just wondering if there was a way (I know I should use Illustrator) to get my nice, say, dotted line from PS to AE while retaining vector-ness and, if possible, attributes. Maybe a setting I'm missing, or a fancy new script.

Again, apologies if posted before—thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Photoshop shapes/shape layers to AE intact?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 6:01:52 pm

One way to do this would be to paste the illustrator path into AE, then, to get your dots, choose a typeface with a round period character. Type your text, tweaking the kerning to your taste, then paste the path in, and choose Path Options in the Text layer, then your path. You can continue tweaking the text as needed. I use this all the time for animated dotted lines. It's a workaround, but it would work. Just make sure your path is in the text layer...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Apr 10, 2014 at 8:29:24 am

When pasted into a Shape Layer, an open path from from AI or PS will include the Fill property. Disable Fill and you should have an open path. Then use the Shape Layer's Stroke>Dash property to create a dotted line. If you click on the + button for Dash, you will include the Gap property and even multiple Dashes and Gaps - up to a maximum of two dashes and gaps.

HTH
RoRK
Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

Mark Stuckert
on Apr 10, 2014 at 4:49:46 pm

Thanks for the responses guys—I do know of the various workarounds but was just wondering if there was a way to automate the process—to bring in PS shape layers as one would bring in, say, an AI file. But again, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]