ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Change the path for After Effects plugins

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken AckermanChange the path for After Effects plugins
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:14:18 pm
Last Edited By Ken Ackerman on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:14:29 pm

Hi all,

Is there a way to tell After Effects to look into another folder for plugins when it boots? I want to put some of my plugins in a network user folder so that when I move between workstations I can access them from that folder, instead of Applicatons>Adobe After Effects>Plug-ins

I'm on a mac and using AE 5.5.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Change the path for After Effects plugins
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:33:18 pm

You should be able to add an alias to the network folder from within each workstation's existing Plugins folder.

I'm not sure if this setup will impact serialization/registration of plugins across workstations.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Change the path for After Effects plugins
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 6:07:21 pm

We tried this at the broadcast station I used to work at with both fonts and plugins. This was several years ago, so it might work better now, but it slowed things to a crawl (this was on a PC network by the way). Of course, as Walter says, there's also the issue of possible registration conflicts, since some AE plugins get tied to particular machines. I know that with network rendering, you have to have plugins installed on each machine which is a node on the render network - so something tells me this will be an exercise in futility. Worth a try though...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved