ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Does anyone know how to re-create a shifting blur in front of the lens kind of look?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Wing
Does anyone know how to re-create a shifting blur in front of the lens kind of look?
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:08:27 pm

I have a client that sent me this video as a reference and would like me to play around with shifting the blur in front of the lens much like this:

https://vimeo.com/19445868

Some of it might have been done on location with an object in front of the lens, but I feel like a lot of it was probably done in post. So far I've toyed around with using Sapphire Z_Blur and using a blurry/moving bokeh type footage as my matte footage element that uses the blur. It's looking okay but I don't have great control over it. Anyone have any clues about how this kind of thing might be done? Especially at the end, when it almost has a weird tilt-shift effect moving about his face.

Thanks and enjoy the beautiful video!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Does anyone know how to re-create a shifting blur in front of the lens kind of look?
on Apr 10, 2014 at 12:53:01 am

I'd approach this with heavy use of a compound blur effect, vector blur, or matted camera lens blurs. I'd also use some displacement mapping or maybe multiple distorted layers.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Does anyone know how to re-create a shifting blur in front of the lens kind of look?
on Apr 10, 2014 at 2:18:18 pm

That was a really beautiful video.

It would be easier - and more fun - to do this practically by messing with lenses in front of your camera's sensor.

However, if you must do it in post, several different adjustment layers with different instances of compound blur and (very subtle) displacement maps all driven by different precomps containing fractal noise and gradients (as Walter suggests) would be a good solution. Don't forget to add a film burn/light leak effect every once in a while.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]