ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Inverting the Y axis of the AE world

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JP PelcInverting the Y axis of the AE world
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 4:34:25 pm

I've been using AE for years and still find the Y space somewhat backwards and unintuitive. I'm talking about how in order to raise a layer HIGHER up in the space, you need to DECREASE the value in the Y position parameter. Well after all this time I have come to find out that this is the opposite way of all 3D design programs. Is there a preference or any other way to change the AE world so that increasing the Y value raises the layer? Obviously I could just have the camera do a half barrel-roll in all my 3D comps, but that is rather time consuming and silly

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Inverting the Y axis of the AE world
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 4:49:36 pm

This sounds like a good feature request. I would recommend that, when you file your feature request, that there should be a feature for opening old projects with the incorrect/weird/different y-axis behavior that translates them to the more-normal behavior.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Inverting the Y axis of the AE world
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:09:20 pm

The Ae origin is always the top left corner of the comp.

If you are interested in a painful workaround, you could create a null object, position it at the bottom left corner of the comp and change its scale to [100%,-100%]. Anything you parent to this null will have its y-axis orientation inverted.

[JP Pelc] "Well after all this time I have come to find out that this is the opposite way of all 3D design programs."

Not all 3D programs work the same way. Everybody does things a little differently. Some flip the Y and Z axes.

Personally, I agree that the Ae TLC origin is a little strange for 3D comps. I'd like (and have requested) an option to center the origin in the comp, as well as an option to use non-screen space units.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]