ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Roving Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason JantzenRoving Layer
by on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:02:04 am

I know how to create roving keyframes and how that works, but what I'm interested in is essentially adjusting the layer's IN point or OUT point to a sub frame value. LayerRandomShifter from AEscripts will shift layers in between frames or if you check a box, it will snap them to frame, so it got me wondering how you could make a layer essentially "rove" in between frames manually.

Any ideas?

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Roving Layer
by on Apr 8, 2014 at 1:26:42 pm

[Jason Jantzen] "it got me wondering how you could make a layer essentially "rove" in between frames manually."

Unless you want to get into scripting, you'd have to raise the frame rate of the comp, at least temporarily.

But may I ask what you're looking to do with a layer's in or out points in between frames?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jason JantzenRe: Roving Layer
by on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:01:11 pm

A friend of mine, you may have heard of him from Lynda.com, Chad Perkins, was complaining how you can't get precise enough edits for cutting to music in AE. I don't see how Premiere is any better either. So the whole purpose was to cut to music with better precision. You're saying changing the frame rate helps? I suppose I'd have to do some experimenting. I wonder if there's some simple way to write a script that allows you to nudge the in point to the next half frame. Problem is, I have no knowledge of scripting.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:05:57 pm

[Jason Jantzen] "You're saying changing the frame rate helps? I suppose I'd have to do some experimenting. I wonder if there's some simple way to write a script that allows you to nudge the in point to the next half frame. Problem is, I have no knowledge of scripting."

The frame rate is generally fixed by your deliverable requirements. You may have some latitude choosing your frame rate (i.e., you may be able to deliver in 720p59.94 instead of 1080p29.97), but these are still generally fixed to standards.

A frame is the smallest visual unit of time. Nudging an in point half a frame means it won't show up until the next full frame thereafter.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:10:18 pm

"Nudging an in point half a frame means it won't show up until the next full frame thereafter."

That's exactly what I'm interested in. I think another feature of my hypothetical script would include the ability to set the OUT point, or extend it by half a frame to match the IN point of the next layer.

Any takers? :)

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:20:30 pm

[Jason Jantzen] "That's exactly what I'm interested in. I think another feature of my hypothetical script would include the ability to set the OUT point, or extend it by half a frame to match the IN point of the next layer."

I don't follow. There would be no visual difference between putting a visual's in point at frame 1.5 or frame 2.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:56:32 pm

According to my friend Chad, he feels that it would help him cut to audio more accurately. I've never had this problem personally, but there ya go.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:05:31 pm

[Jason Jantzen] "According to my friend Chad, he feels that it would help him cut to audio more accurately. I've never had this problem personally, but there ya go."

Your friend Chad is mistaken, or there's a misunderstanding about what he meant.

But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Open up a comp with some stuff in it. Duplicate one layer. Open the comp settings (Ctrl+K on PC, Cmd+K on Mac) and double the frame rate (so 29.97 for example goes to 59.94). For one copy of the layer, nudge it forward one frame by selecting it and hitting Alt+PgDn (PC) or Option+PgDn (Mac). Re-open the comp settings and reset the original frame rate.

You'll now see that your layer's in point is offset a half frame. Compare and contrast with the duplicate layer that is still on a whole frame.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:17:56 pm

Thanks Walter. I think that may satisfy his curiosity.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]