ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Some questions about frame rate and dslr/videocameras

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom ThursfieldSome questions about frame rate and dslr/videocameras
by on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:46:52 pm

I'm looking to buy a camera for shooting green screen and other footage that I use for after effects.
I've been using stock footage but there are some ideas that I need my own footage.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, 2 DSLRs and one camcorder.

Nikon 3100 DSLR 1920 x 1080 24 fps or 1280 x 720 30 fps
Canon EOS 1100D DSLR 1280 x 720 30 fps
Canon Legria HF R46 or Panasonic HC-V210 1920 x 1080p 25 or 50 fps

I don't think it'll be too bad a choice between the 3 as I've done some research but I just wondered if there was anything I was missing in regards to after effects and vfx?

I'd prefer a DSLR as it would be better for still images and more multi functional but the camcorder is full HD. Also I could get different lenses and manually adjust the shots with the DSLRs.

The footage will be for the web so frame rate doesn't really matter does it or will this matter for vfx work?

I don't think people are going to think my effects work is ruined due to 720p but is it worth getting something that shoots 1080p so my work will look better?

Thanks for any help

Oh and sorry If this isn't in the right section

Return to posts index

Tom ThursfieldRe: Some questions about frame rate and dslr/videocameras
by on Apr 5, 2014 at 9:01:49 pm

oh my god I'm such an idiot I realized, hell I even wrote it that the nikon does 1080! Guess I'll be going for that then, although it is 24fps!

But does frame rate matter too much for vfx?

Say if I create something at 24fps and upload it will youtube or vimeo change the frame rate to 30fps and interpolate frames in the video and will this be a lower quality than if I made it myself in AE at 30fps then uploaded it?

I'm guessing it's not going to ruin it but I just would like to know the process so I can get the best results or whether it's worth going to any trouble regarding it

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Some questions about frame rate and dslr/videocameras
by on Apr 7, 2014 at 2:43:40 am

If you're getting a camera specifically for chroma key work, you should look at the CODEC to which the video files are recorded. As far as I know, every DSLR records to the H.264 codec, which isn't really a great thing. I could get into all sorts of things like interframe compression and color resolution, but suffice it to say that H.264 isn't great if you're getting a camera specifically for chroma key.

If I were you, I'd RENT a few different cameras before you buy and see what kind of key you can pull with them. Why get stuck with a turkey that can't do the job for you?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Some questions about frame rate and dslr/videocameras
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:42:09 pm

Some DSLRs will let you connect to them and capture the signal uncompressed instead of having to deal with the H.264 files created by the camera itself. If you're looking to do chroma work with a DSLR, that is the way to go.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved