ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

View only layer selected one at a time

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matt chapmanView only layer selected one at a time
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:30:15 pm

Hi All-
I am taking over quite a few compositions from a previous compositor, so I am unfamiliar with a lot of the layers that he has created. Is there a way to quickly view only the layer that you have selected? For instance I would like to be able to hold command and move up and down the layer stack to see only the layer that I have selected at a time, and then switch back to full view.

clicking solo on and off on 29 tracks per composite is tedious!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: View only layer selected one at a time
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 9:23:17 pm

You could double-click on the layer to open it in the layer window. Otherwise, I don't know of any keystroke combo that will do what you want.

Besides, the timeline cursor has a say in this as well: even if you double-click on a layer to look at it in the layer window, you'll see the layer at the point in time determined by the position of the timeline cursor.

And actually, 29 layers isn't all that bad for an AE comp.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: View only layer selected one at a time
by on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:45:36 pm

Coincidentally, I've just sent in a Feature Request to view only active layers in a Timeline. An active layer is defined as being currently visible in the Comp Panel - this of course depends on where the Timeline Indicator is placed.

Viewing a single active layer lacks context since its relevance only becomes properly defined when viewed with other active layers. In your case, solo-ing is one option. Dave's given you another. You may also want to look at CTRL+SHIFT+V and/or CTRL+SHIFT+ALT+V to toggle selected layers' visibility on/off.

Latest AE Workshop - MoGraph Intensity - Shapes & Text

Intensive mocha & AE Training in Singapore and Other Dangerous Locations

Adobe After Effects CC ACE/ACI
Imagineer Systems (mocha) Certified Instructor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved