ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Big differences between Macs on a single AE project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken EvansBig differences between Macs on a single AE project
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 12:50:34 pm

Hi,

I've been working on my most ambitious AE project. I spent the last 10 days working on shots, keying, colour correcting and general compositing. I took the project home on the same drive I've been working from onto an identical setup (except one Mac is an i5 CPU the other an intel Core Duo but both 27" iMacs) On my Core Duo iMac the project footage looks ghastly. Blocky, bad keys, just generally awful.

After an hour or so of despair I left the project and re-opened next day at work. To my surprise and relief it was all perfect. I rendered a reference movie overnight from my machine and on comparison, they are chalk and cheese. The one on my home mac looks shit, the one on my work looks sweet. As I said both machines are running identical software versions and only 1 set of plugins, Boris Continuum, everything else is standard AE effects. I've never seen this before in all my years of using it.

What could be going wrong? How can the same project look so different on 2 machines? Is this normal behaviour across machines?

Senior Technician, Moving Image Department - Kingston University London.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Big differences between Macs on a single AE project
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:37:31 pm

Are the AE preferences set identically on both Macs?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken EvansRe: Big differences between Macs on a single AE project
by on Apr 10, 2014 at 6:29:32 pm

Yes everything is identical except as I mentioned the difference in iMac models.

I've been messing with this for a few days now and there is a really distinct difference and I can't get to the bottom of it. I've ended up rendering the project from where the images look best on the newer iMac. I'll post up some grabs here later so you can see the difference. (different graphics card of course too).

Senior Technician, Moving Image Department - Kingston University London.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Big differences between Macs on a single AE project
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:21:23 pm
Last Edited By Brian Charles on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:24:30 pm

[Ken Evans] " Is this normal behaviour across machines?"

Not at all. Something is amiss if everything else is identical other than the computer.

If all plug-ins, versions, the project settings, colour space, openGL settings (turn off!), monitor calibration, are the same then there shouldn't be glaring differences such as you describe.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Big differences between Macs on a single AE project
by on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:45:10 pm

Perhaps there is a codec or color management difference between them. I'm thinking the codecs might be messed up on the one.

Either way, this is a bit odd.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]