ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

moving raid stripe?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Alexandermoving raid stripe?
by on Apr 3, 2014 at 10:01:27 pm

Hi All,

I'm upgrading my Mac Pro (2008) to a 2012 tower. In my old machine I have 3 x 1TB drives software striped to make a RAID0 3TB volume. Is it possible to straight swap them slot for slot into the new machine or is there striping data needed on my old Mac?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Ken EvansRe: moving raid stripe?
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 12:54:27 pm

I would have said this should work in principal but the software raid controller on your old mac might come into play with it. Before binning the old Mac, I would just check but making sure OS versions are all the same might help since this is where the software controller will reside. I'm pretty sure there is no hardware aspect to the striping if you used disk utility to form it.

Senior Technician, Moving Image Department - Kingston University London.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: moving raid stripe?
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:39:05 pm

And another question: how are you going to connect the current raid to the new Mac?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rob AlexanderRe: moving raid stripe?
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 7:31:13 pm

I was planning to remove them from the caddies inside my current Mac pro and fit them to the ones in the new one. Having been striped with disk utility I was hoping that they'd carry the striping data locally and just show up. I may be missing something though!

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: moving raid stripe?
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:55:36 pm

i'm with you and ken, i think it should work... i've actually done it, but both macs were on the same os version, not sure if yours are.

i'd try it, worst case scenario (barring dropping a drive) is you have to reinstall them in the old mac and figure out how to transfer the data off to then reformat in the new system and put the data back on.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Rob AlexanderRe: moving raid stripe?
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 9:21:28 pm

The old machine is on 10.7.5 and the new one 10.8.5. I've posted on the apple forums and opinion is split but the majority think it should work.

So if the new machine doesn't recognise the stripe they should reappear on the old one?

Thanks for the advice.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: moving raid stripe?
by on Apr 4, 2014 at 10:45:34 pm

yes, as long as you don't reformat them.

if the new system doesn't recognize them as a valid volume it should ask if you want to use the drives as a time machine backup or format them. obviously choose ignore or cancel, whichever option shows up. then you can shut the system down and put those drives back in the older system.

i should say that it is always advisable to backup your files before moving drives around like this, bad things can happen, but if your careful things should be fine... i've never lost files swapping drives around.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]