raytraced text doesn't reflect light properly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jens Mock
raytraced text doesn't reflect light properly
on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:35:54 pm
Last Edited By Jens Mock on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:43:06 pm

hi guys,

I encountered some inconsistencies how raytrace-3d letters reflect lights in my project; since I'm new to that I'm looking for some hints where to start looking

The set up is the following:
I created some lines of text flying towards the camera and passing it by on the right side. Due to lack of DOF in raytrace-3d I precomposed each line and added a fast blur to the precomps to mimic that a little.
The scene has two lights, one ambient and a spotlight that is slowly moving in the distance - illuminating the face of the letters

The rendering showed that randomly single letters are flickering - not reflecting the light correctly - for just a frame and than switching back to normal.
I first thought about shadows that the letters are receiving from above but that wouldn't match for the the topline (and not for just one frame duration)

The pictures show adjacent frames from the png-sequence I rendered out (progressive).

I think it's an adjustment-issue in the raytrace-3d settings and/or the depending settings on the text-elements, but I don't know where to start

------------------------
AE CS6
HD 1920 x 1080 / 25fps
raytracing 3d
I cranked up the ray-tracing-quality up to 10, left the anti-aliasing filter at box

any hint is appreciated, thanks in advance

Jens

the white lines are not part of the setting - I added them to point to the letter to look at ;-)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: raytraced text doesn't reflect light properly
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:05:52 pm

[Jens Mock] "I encountered some inconsistencies how raytrace-3d letters reflect lights in my project; since I'm new to that I'm looking for some hints where to start looking"

Any time that I hear about weird single-frame anomalies like you're describing here, the first thing I suggest is to clear your disk cache. On CS6, that's in Preferences > Media & Disk Cache... "Clean Database & Cache."

(BTW, if you haven't installed all the updates to CS6, you should -- there are a lot of bug fixes that include some cache errors.)

[Jens Mock] "Due to lack of DOF in raytrace-3d I precomposed each line and added a fast blur to the precomps to mimic that a little."

DoF is supported in the ray-tracing renderer. Enable Depth of Field in your camera settings.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jens Mock
on Apr 3, 2014 at 8:42:37 pm

thanks for the hints but I think I can exclude the disk cache. I rendered the clip at a freshly started machine, pretty much unused for that day (this phenomenon occurs independently of day and workhours).

But the DoF can be sth. to look further. I've read somewhere (here) that it's not supported but you're right, I can switch it on/off - the 'real' reason I precomped everything was that when I had the DoF turned on, the plain textlines looked as if you blur a layer in photoshop and switch the layermode to 'dissolve' and set the transparency to sth. like 40% - far from anything useful :-/

maybe some details to the precomps:
within each of them I put the camera plus the two lights (plus text) so in the main comp they are not really necessary anymore (bit still there and turned on). I tested if it makes any difference if lights/camera in the mainComp are on or off, if it's necessary that the preComps are 3d-layers (collapsed) or not and I tried what happened if everything is turned on - there are always blinking letters.

I will go for the updates and ask the administrator about that ... (not the solution I hoped for)

Return to posts index

Jens Mock
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:17:22 am

just a quick feedback how I managed to circumvent my problems:

the flickering lights were caused by the spotlight in the scene - by switching off 'cast shadow' this was resolved.
The other thing was the weird looking DoF - the problem was discussed on the Adobe forum and can be read here:
http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-5192466-314377/...

which in conclusion is caused by (the lack of power of) the graphic card.
there is no other way around NVIDIAs cuda-technology ;-)

Return to posts index

Jens Mock
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:19:05 am

just a quick feedback how I managed to circumvent my problems:

the flickering lights were caused by the spotlight in the scene - by switching off 'cast shadow' this was resolved.
The other thing was the weird looking DoF - the problem was discussed on the Adobe forum and can be read here:
http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-5192466-314377/...

which in conclusion is caused by (the lack of power of) the graphic card.
there is no other way around NVIDIAs cuda-technology ;-)

and thanks for your feedback, Walter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]