ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

alpha channel query

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris brett
alpha channel query
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:48:15 pm

-- doing tests for exporting uncompressed animating name-supers with alpha channels in 1080i.

-- need to get the file size down to email using winzip ( is winrar any better ? ) ....... most impressed so far with tif format...

Anyone got any favourites please ?

-------------------------------------------- chris

====================================================

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: alpha channel query
on Apr 1, 2014 at 4:59:17 pm

Email? Ugh.

What's the file size limit you can send? How long is a clip? What's the frame rate?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:35:10 pm

Hi Dave

12 clips of 250 frames each at 25 fps.

I say email but its not too bad as I will FTP zipped results to a server - I dont think file size is an issue but the line is slow from here and its the time that causes problems.

Tested PNG sequence first but the zipped result was same file size as the folder at 540 mb - and at 1hr 40 per clip thats out of the question.

-- tif sequence zipped to about 10% of that and would be easily useable, just not so sure about the uncompressed quality -- looked ok to me......

--- figured there would be plenty of users out there who are more knowledgeable than I on this kind of stuff... need to focus more on a few of these technicalities.....

-------- all the best ---

-------------------------- chris --

===============================================

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:52:38 pm

That's not so bad.

What if you don't create an alpha channel, and instead render out two files: a matte and a fill? Could your folks use that?

You'd render the Fill by rendering with NO RGB+Alpha in AE, in the image sequence file type of choice.

You'd render the matte by just rendering the comp's Alpha -- there's a setting for it in the Render Queue. The result: a black & white file where white is totally opaque, black is totally transparent, and shades of gray are semi-opaque. No color. Compact file size to begin with.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:29:17 pm

.............thanks for input Dave but need to deliver an RGBA file - presentation as much as anything, to keep people happy ....

...... will see how it goes ..........

---------------- all the best -----chris --

=-======================================

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:56:30 pm

....in which case, sir, I think you've answered your own question. It appears that zipped TIFF sequences are the way to go. If you must deliver image sequences.

If they accept Quicktime Movies -- and file size is smaller -- I'd go with the PNG codec. It's ten bits as opposed to Animation's 8 bits.

But I have to tell you: for animated lower-thirds, it's VERY tough to beat Animation in terms of file size. The way the movie's encoded -- there's 2/3 of a screen with nothing on it -- the resulting file size can be downright compact and STILL look good.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:19:10 pm

-- cheers Dave -

-- not so sure I understand all the details yet though -- looks to me as if some of the options are not pixel perfect to the original on the desktop .....

.... anyway ...

............. better get going -- this will do for now ....

-------------------------------chris ---

=================================================

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 2, 2014 at 4:25:57 pm

[chris brett] "not so sure I understand all the details yet though -- looks to me as if some of the options are not pixel perfect to the original on the desktop ....."

PNG is lossless. You will not see compression improvement by zipping PNGs because PNG basically uses ZIP compression internally.

QuickTime Animation codec is lossless at 100%. It is 8-bit only. It excels at compressing larger areas of flat color, but creates very large filesizes for images without these large flat areas. Depending on the content, you can see further file size reduction by zipping your Animation-codec movies.

TIFF is lossless at 100%. It can be compressed internally with LZW, which is similar to ZIP. If you are not using LZW compression on your TIFF files, you should expect to see file size reduction by zipping them.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:46:31 pm

Hi Walter

-- many thanks for your technical input -- excellent as always and much appreciated.

All the best

---------------------- chris brett --

=======================================

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]