ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Create Glass Reflection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BlutsteinCreate Glass Reflection
by on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:19:33 am
Last Edited By Mike Blutstein on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:21:34 am

Hi. I am looking to take my foreground, and have it reflect onto the windows in my background. I am wondering if anyone can maybe help me with this? I figure it might need to be some sort of track matte (alpha, luma?) because it would have to follow my subject according to how i position it.

I am just trying to add a sense of realism to the video. If anyone can maybe suggest some way to try, i would really appreciate it!

Here is a picture. I would like the back window to reflect as if it was glass.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Create Glass Reflection
by on Apr 1, 2014 at 11:05:32 am

A reflection should show the back of the actors, so unless you have shot that with a second camera, there's really no way of doing it right.
You could try to fake some shadow like reflections, barely visible, by using the elements you have comped in the foreground, darkening them (Levels) and positioning them on the window plane with a high transparency. You'll have to account for elements behind the camera (wall, door, pictures on the wall and so on). I for one would create some light elements (lamps, tv screens) that will reflect in the window and sort of provide a reason for the actors to be darker forms.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved