ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew KuhnTrying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.
by on Mar 31, 2014 at 4:24:51 pm

Hi. I am trying to make a glass HUD effect on top of a video in After effects. How do I create a realistic glass panel for the HUD?

What I am currently doing is creating a semi-transparent (50% opacity) blue solid and making it 3d. Then I am putting animations (words & numbers & shapes) on top of that panel with a glow effect. Quite simple but lacks realism.

My key challenges:
  • Making the panel more "glassy" with some surface light reflection

• Adding a thickness/border to the glass

• Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance - Matt

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Trying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.
    by on Mar 31, 2014 at 5:54:14 pm

Hi Matt

-- have you seen this tut from copilot ?

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/futuristic_hud/

Also -- if you still need to add reflections you could try this :

1-- get suitable image

2 --- use curves ( whatever ) to turn into a high contrast image

3 --- selectively key on top - ie just edges / one corner / whatever ---- partial mix using additive mix sometimes works well ....

4 ----- maybe finally add a bright highlight or 2 -- you can do this by crushing refection image further or just take a a still of a few room lights / whatever.

----------------- chris ---

===============================

Return to posts index

Matthew KuhnRe: Trying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.
    by on Mar 31, 2014 at 6:34:05 pm

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit new to After effects and I am a bit unclear about your second and third points.

Can you go into a bit more detail about curves and keying on top and using partial mix.

Ya I have seen the Co-pilot video but it doesn't really apply to the effect that I am trying to make.

Here is the effect that I am working on.

Return to posts index

chris brettRe: Trying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.
    by on Mar 31, 2014 at 8:20:43 pm

Hi Matt

Points 2 and 3 are about stylising reflections from a photograph.

Have used this a few times to give a bit of gloss but only on atmospheric comps.

It may not be useful to your job ( now that I've seen the ref ) as the ref is informational and it might just get in the way of the type -- could be that its going to be easiest and perfectly good to just Photoshop it and keep it simple... ( some thoughts on this below )

Anyway --- explanation here :

Reflections can be complex but comping one up sometimes works well if you use a high contrast image and only key the highlights --if used carefully this can give the impression of windows ( or other highlighted areas ) being reflected from behind the viewer.

If you key the highlights in at 100% it will almost certainly be way too much but if you use a percentage and are selective it can look pretty good on the right shot--

For example, most of the 'glass' you are building might have no keyed highlights at all but you might just catch a subtle hint of something accross a top corner ( say ) - NB subtle is usually important here - which is why I was suggesting an additive mix but only applied at 10% ( say ) -- then possibly a few smaller brighter highlights on top...needs experimenting depending on what you are working with....

Curves can be used to control the contrast on the reflected image and can be found under / effect / colour correction / curves / --- --- you will quickly see how you can control the contrast by adjusting the curve in the display panel.

....anyway .. having seen the ref I'd say this level of detail is probably not required because your ref is quite simple and it might be that too much fancy stuff will just get in the way....

... would probably artwork up a panel ( with seperate edges on another layer )in photoshop then use a lot more transparency on the panel then on the edge( s ) .

OR

If you are using CS6 you can artwork the panel by extruding a shape( possibly using bevel edges as well which might be nice ? ) - and render out on black first to key over --- but I think its probably more trouble than its worth if you are new to AE as setting up the material properties / environment map / lights etc can be a bit tricky and time consuming at times....

Think I would say 'photoshop it' and keep the edge(s) on seperate layer(s) so you can control the relative transparencies

------------------------------ chris --

==============================================

Return to posts index

Matthew KuhnRe: Trying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.
    by on Apr 1, 2014 at 2:00:21 am

Thanks, Chris, for taking the time to help a newbie. Awesome input. Much appreciated

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Trying to make a realistic glass HUD composition on a video clip.
    by on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:25:08 pm

Maybe this can help you somehow:

Project files Cs6:
    7316_glassfx.aep.zip

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2014 at 2:03:16 am

Hey Cassius: BIG help with that file. Loaded it, and its a HUGE improvement. Many thanks!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]