ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

NEW! Free Total-Systems After Effects Benchmarking Suite - AfterBenchCC - Test your CPU / GPU / RAM / VRAM

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Teddy Gage
NEW! Free Total-Systems After Effects Benchmarking Suite - AfterBenchCC - Test your CPU / GPU / RAM / VRAM
on Mar 31, 2014 at 3:46:51 pm

Available for download at http://www.teddygage.com/AfterBenchCC/

will work on mac and pc, you need the latest AE updates to run I believe.

I put a ton of work into this and think you folks will find this handy. It has already been useful around the studio for profiling system strengths and deficiencies.

Here is a sample video of all the files that your machine will render in a run of the 60 MB AfterBenchCC project

https://vimeo.com/90489125

Again, the file is available at http://www.teddygage.com/AfterBenchCC/

It's not really recommended for systems older than 2 years, it may take a long time to run, especially with older GPUs. However it is broken into several 3-5 minute tests, so you can pick and choose which test you want to run without demanding too much time or resources. I highly recommend the fractal noise CPU test to get a clear idea of system performance in a single run.

A little background:

It will generate about 6 GB of video files on your system. Everything here is procedural, no video files or prerendered assets are needed, it is created from scratch on your machine.

This benchmark tests total systems RAM, CPU, and GPU performance in After Effects Creative Cloud 12.2.1, simulating typical rigorous production demands with 4k footage output, intensive render-heavy effects and encoding. Make sure your system is able to handle 100% load on GPU & CPU - I am not liable for any system crashes, loss of work or mechanical failures as a result of this test.

It is recommended that, if you have any GPU released prior to the Nvidia GTX 480, you disable the "Raytrace & Environment Map" benchmark test in the render queue, as render times may exceed 1 hour and beyond. This may also be true for many modern mobile GPUs, or GPUs with less than 1 GB VRAM. This does not mean your computer is slow, it simply means your GPU is not able to run the highly specialized AfterEffects CUDA raytrace engine with reasonable speed.

Make sure you have latest GPU drivers AE CC version and Quicktime codecs installed. There is an optional Element 3D benchmark left unchecked, if you have Element 1.6 installed, you should check the render tickbox. Element 3D is a great plugin that works extremely fast with many common OpenGL GPUs. However, it will not affect the benchmark if you do not have Element 3D installed, simply hit cancel.

You will have to select all render items and output the project to its own folder on your fastest drive. You may need to click each item in the render queue and output each render item to the chosen render folder individually.

INSTRUCTIONS:

STEP 1: Purge RAM and disk cache (disk optional)
STEP 2: Confirm output paths to fastest drive available
STEP 3: Confirm roughly 6 GB HDD space available
STEP 4: Confirm system airflow is good and CPU / GPU are stable under load
STEP 5: Confirm MP is ON, at least 2 GB allocated per CPU

STEP 6: Recommend you render each item separately - cannot guarantee full run in sequence. May need to purge RAM between each render to avoid memory warnings. If render crashes, simply delete render files and re-add that comp to render queue.

STEP 7: Make sure your VRAM is set to maximum usable in GPU settings and your GPU is recognized with the latest CUDA drivers, if running the GPU Envmap Test

STEP 8: RENDER

I recommend having PC system resource monitor running and open to watch CPU / RAM usage.

Other good apps include TechPowerUp GPU-Z, Real Temp GT for live systems monitoring. On Mac I would use Activity Monitor or Menu Meters

Here are my current results, the rest of our machines will be added soon.

"IRONMAN"
4.7 GHz hex core CPU, 64 GB RAM, 720 GB SSD RAID1, hyperthreading off

MP OFF: 2:28
4K KEYFRAME: 3:12
4K ENCODING H264: 0:26
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 3:55
4K Encoding MP4: 0:18
RT & EnvMap GPU: 5:12
Cineware: 8:51
Element 3D: 5:02

"The flash"
4.3 GHZ quad cpu, 4770k, 16gb ram, 2x gtx 580, hyperthreading on

MP OFF: 2:22
4K KEYFRAME: 3:25
4K ENCODING H264: 0:36
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 7:11
4K Encoding MP4: 0:22
RT & EnvMap GPU: 4:15
Cineware: 8:42
Element 3D: na

"JACKAL"
Late 2013 Macbook pro
2.6 GHZ boost up to 3.8 GHz, quad core cpu, 16gb ram, gtx 720m, 1 TB on board SSD, hyperthreading on

MP OFF: 2:34
4K KEYFRAME: 3:36
4K ENCODING H264: 0:35
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 7:01
4K Encoding MP4: 0:25
RT & EnvMap GPU: 43:23
Cineware: 9:13
Element 3D: na

Some really interesting numbers here, I'm going to create a spreadsheet with some nice graphs and have a link on my site. Thanks for checking it out!

TO SUBMIT YOUR SCORES FOR OFFICIAL VERIFICATION:

Increment and save the file after render.
Delete all compositions and outputs, and save AE project again, with your name appended to the file name.
Email file to FStopDigital@gmail.com for verification, along with system specs:
CPU / GPU model, OS, & RAM

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: NEW! Free Total-Systems After Effects Benchmarking Suite - AfterBenchCC - Test your CPU / GPU / RAM / VRAM
on Apr 1, 2014 at 3:50:29 am

Really nice work, Teddy! Thanks for sharing this.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Teddy Gage
Re: NEW! Free Total-Systems After Effects Benchmarking Suite - AfterBenchCC - Test your CPU / GPU / RAM / VRAM
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:32:51 pm

Thanks Walter, here are the results so far

http://goo.gl/JrNIXd

I'm looking especially for new Mac Pro and 4930K processor, please either post results here, email to fstopdigital@gmail.com or on twitter @teddyrocksteady

Return to posts index

EricBowen
on Apr 2, 2014 at 6:06:10 pm

When I have time at work I will get you the 4930K results at stock and 4.4GHz. I will try to run on a Xeon E5 12 Core 2697 V2 on an X79 as well when we have 1 up or I get time at home on my system.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager
support@adkvideoediting.com

Return to posts index

Teddy Gage
on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:20:00 pm

@Eric - Awesome, would love to see the 3930 vs. 4930 results, let me know if you get a chance to run it.
-TG

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:05:40 pm

Where are you going to post the uploaded results? I didn't see a link other than the zip file link.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Teddy Gage
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:20:44 pm
Last Edited By Teddy Gage on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:31:15 pm

In the post you just responded to - a google docs spreadsheet for now

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnEzF9kq8zHMdGlqTzdMMHhiQzhROT...

or the shortened URL

http://goo.gl/JrNIXd

Return to posts index

Teddy Gage
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:25:18 pm

Hey folks, would really love to see these tests run on a new Mac Pro - or any systems that aren't currently represented. The tests don't take too long and you don't have to do all of them. Check it out and post your results, thanks!!
-TG

Return to posts index

Ian Mapleson
on May 27, 2014 at 12:51:27 am

Hi Teddy! Just wondered if you saw my reply to your post on
your old benchmark thread - can your new test suite be run
with AE 11.0.4?

Ian.

SGI Guru

Return to posts index

Teddy Gage
on May 27, 2014 at 2:00:05 pm

No, unfortunately not. The entire point of this suite is to test performance of hardware with new creative cloud features. You would get wildly different results if you tried to convert it back to cs6. I highly recommend the upgrade, although I understand it would be quite expensive if you're not using it to make a living...

Return to posts index

Ian Mapleson
on May 27, 2014 at 4:14:44 pm

Teddy writes:
> No, unfortunately not. The entire point of this suite is to
> test performance of hardware with new creative cloud features. ...

I thought that was the case. Ah well, never mind.

> ... although I understand it would be quite expensive if
> you're not using it to make a living...

Correct, just researching CUDA with AE.

It's ok though, a friend is sorting out an insanely intesive
AE/CUDA test for me, which in its present form takes about
10 mins to render one frame using four GTX 580s. :D

Ian.

SGI Guru

Return to posts index

Manel Menano
on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:17:31 pm

Unsurprisingly disappointing results from the new Mac Pro

Most of the time my CPU was +60% idle and when it was more active, not stable, spiking up and down.

RAM almost never used more than 30% which leads me to believe that it didn't need to since the application isn't designed to push this machine.

"VADER"
Mac Pro (2013) 3.5 GHz 6core, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 2xD500

MP OFF: 3:01
4K KEYFRAME: 4:09
4K ENCODING H264: 0:49
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 6:24
4K Encoding MP4: 0:22
RT & EnvMap GPU: N/A
Cineware: 5:37
Element 3D: N/A

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jul 10, 2014 at 5:51:31 pm

Misconception with Multi-Processing is to set it to maximum threads available whereas you should actually adjust it so that it's using the same number of physical cores on your machine. In your case, 6. That seems to improve render times on my machine.

Advise taken from Tod Kopriva I believe.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Stefan Saw
on Feb 9, 2016 at 12:27:41 am

I know it a pretty old thread but stuill very interssting.

Why is my system so bad? What can I do to make it faster?

Results:

AE: CC 2015 13.7
CPU: 2x HexaCore Intel Xeon E5645, 2400 MHz (18 x 133) 12 Cores 24 Threads
RAM: 48GB
GTX 770 (4GB)

MP OFF: 5:22
4K KEYFRAME: 13:59
4K ENCODING H264: failed "settings mismatch..."
Fractal Noise 4K all CPU: 4:49
4K Encoding MP4: 0:40
RT & EnvMap GPU: 10:25
Cineware: 7:00
Element 3D: 24:34

Will a new graphiccard push it?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2016 at 11:33:40 am

Ae CC 2015 is a major re-architecture of After Effects, separating the renderer from the GUI for the first time in Ae's 20+ year history. This is an important step for modernizing Ae and improving performance, but it has required an enormous amount of engineering resources and is still a work-in-progress.

Ae CC 2015 does not currently have a multiprocessing feature like previous versions of Ae did, so Ae CC 2015 is not exploiting all your system resources. Most of your PC is idle during these renders.

I have been working in Ae CC 2015 (13.5, 13.6, 13.7), but rendering in Ae CC 2014 (v13.2), because it has multiprocessing support. The project files are completely compatible; you can bounce the same AEP back and forth between any 13.x version of Ae.

Ae is not accelerated by the GPU, with the exception of the ray-tracing renderer and some third-party plugins.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Stefan Saw
on Feb 9, 2016 at 6:27:01 pm

Yes, I know it very indiviull as well.

But while these benchmark my system runs to the limit. On some tests frequently on 100% CPU and a lot of Ram was used as well.

My "problem" is, that I do it all, 3D Animation (egg. Element, Trapcode), cameratracking, Color Correction. So I need a system thats good in everything.

If Im doing 3D Element, and my GPU-Load runs on 99% constantly, so for this a up2date graphic would make sense. I just wonder if a "high end gtx" Titan X etc. would really make that "WOW" diffenerence.

And I wonder about the big difference between my results in the results of Teddy.

Should I swap my 2x Hexacores 2,4GHZ to a 1x Hexa with app. 4GHZ like Teddy has? His system beat me in every single test.

Questions. What yould you do?

1. Just get a better graphiccard for your system
2. Get an other CPU
3. Just get everything new ;)

Obvisouly I cant spend as much money I want or need ;) so I like to have a solution that push my workflow..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]