ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Best Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric GuilianiBest Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 3:00:21 pm

Hey Guys-

I am running a MacBookPro Retina with 16GB RAM and 500 GB HD. I just recently acquired a LaCie 4TB External HD at work since I'm starting to do ALL AE projects. I just watched a video on RAM and Disk Cache management in AE and have a few questions:

What is the best and fastest set up with what I currently have? Currently I have my disk cache set to the external HD, and my footage lies on my main MBP HD. Would it be better to put all footage/asset files on the external HD and put the disk cache back to my main MBP HD?

Looking for the fastest and most productive workflow. Any help greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Best Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:36:13 pm

Put the disk cache on the fastest disk with the fastest connection; that is typically your internal drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Eric GuilianiRe: Best Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:42:04 pm

Ok, even if the OS and everything else is on it? Also, would it be better for the footage/assets be on the external drive?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2014 at 7:56:30 pm

> Ok, even if the OS and everything else is on it?

Yes.

Think about what is happening: The OS and applications are read from the disk when the OS and applications start... and not much after that. The disk cache is read from and written to when the application has already been running for a while. There is no chance of these operations competing for the same resource at the same time.

Use that same thought process to answer your own question about whether the cache should be on the same footage as the disk cache: footage is read at approximately the same time as the disk cache being read, so there is a chance for competition for the same resource (in this case bus bandwidth and disk head seek).

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:01:55 pm

Thanks.

The video I watched actually suggested putting the disk cache on another drive, but i'm assuming it would only be worth it if the drive was a fast SSD.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:24:08 pm

Yep.

I'm betting that the video was by me.

After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

by on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:26:42 pm

Maybe? it was a little while ago. So I guess since I don't have a faster HD than my main MBP HD, next best thing is to use that for disk and media cache, and just make sure my footage is on my external drive.

Return to posts index

Peggy HrastarRe: Best Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question
by on Jul 26, 2014 at 11:22:09 pm

I have the same confusion for After Effects. Everything I read says don't put the disk cache on the same drive as the OS. Then, put the disk cache on the fastest drive.
I have 3 drives
SSD for OS and programs
HDD for media and projects
HDD for previews, exports ??

So my SSD is obviously the fastest but also contains the OS and apps. So, where do I put my disk cache - and should my conforming media files be in the same place, or a different one?
Thank you for your response!
Peggy H

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Best Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:38:50 pm

[Peggy Hrastar] "So my SSD is obviously the fastest but also contains the OS and apps. So, where do I put my disk cache - and should my conforming media files be in the same place, or a different one?"

Your cache should be on your SSD, despite the fact that your OS is on it. Todd's post explains why.
Your conformed media files should be somewhere else. Again, Todd's post explains why.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Peggy HrastarRe: Best Technical Workflow Set Up AE Question
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 8:29:01 pm

Thanks for your reply Michael. I went back and read Todd's post again- it was nice to have it reinforced.
Peggy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]