ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Installing KeyEd Up Script in AE CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamish Storey
Installing KeyEd Up Script in AE CC
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:33:20 am

Hi guys - I've had trouble installing KeyEd Up in my version of AE CC for PC.

I've downloaded the script (link below) and added the two files to this directory: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC\Support Files\Scripts\ScriptUI Panels

However, when trying to run I'm getting this warning: Could not find the shortcut file at: Roaming/Adobe/After Effects/12.0/Adobe After Effects 12.0 Shortcuts.txt . Maybe it hasn't been created yet? Try restarting AE and running again.

If I then locate the file in the resulting window that opens I get: Unable to exectue script at line 996.

Anyone else had this issue... ideas ideas...? Many thanks

Script Link - KeyEd Up: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&extid...

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
Re: Installing KeyEd Up Script in AE CC
on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:18:07 pm

I installed this recently. I can't remember what loopholes I went through to install it or if it was easy (short term selective memory issues), but I know it's not in the Script UI Panels folder. I have it in the Scripts folder. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment. Animators get no sleep and it's still morning.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jul 18, 2014 at 4:47:44 pm

Ok, just went through the steps to get this running in CC 2014 because somebody else asked me about it. Once you paste the script into the 'Scripts' folder and load up after effects, you'll get that error telling you it can't locate the shortcuts file. Take a note of where the script is looking to find the file. I physically went into that directory first to find the shortcuts file so I didn't get lost later. Push OK on the error box in AE and you'll be asked to locate the file. Navigate to the location of the folder where the script is looking. There are a bunch of "Adobe After Effects 13.0 Pref..." files (or 12.0 if you're looking in the CC folder) Look for the file called "Adobe After Effects 13.0 Win en_US Shortcuts" and select it. The script should now be working.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Iris Moleman
on Jul 27, 2014 at 1:29:45 pm

Hi Jason,

I can't find the KeyedUp script mentioned in this topic. I found different links on the internet, but they all lead to Adobe's Add-on website (https://creative.adobe.com/addons).

Do you know where I can download the script?

Thanks in advance,

Iris

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jul 29, 2014 at 4:20:00 am

Here's a copy of "Keyed Up" that I uploaded to the Cow.

7796_keyedup.jsx.zip

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 29, 2014 at 1:27:23 pm

[Todd Kopriva - Adobe] "You can modify keyboard shortcuts by editing the text file that's in the preferences directory. You can open the directory with the Reveal button at the bottom of the Preferences dialog box.

We're moving the KeyEd script to a new location. All that it does is modify the text file, so this script is not necessary."

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:07:47 pm

That's true, but the script interface alone just makes it way easier to find commands and edit them. If you know exactly what you're searching for, you can easily find it in the TXT file, but that's not always the case.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:20:03 pm

Understandable. I was just passing on Adobe's official word on the matter.

Personally, I would prefer AE to have a keyboard shortcut editor like C4D's.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:37:48 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Personally, I would prefer AE to have a keyboard shortcut editor like C4D's."

Agreed!

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Sep 10, 2014 at 1:47:34 pm

Hi Michael,

Was just trying to solve a problem with KeyEd Up in CC 2014 and found your thread, where you said 'words to the effect' that "You can modify keyboard shortcuts by modifying the text file in the preferences, etc".

Was wondering if you knew actually how to do that? When I open those preferences I can't find the shortcuts in amongst all that text anywhere. Bit frustrating. KeyEd Up makes is soooo simple but it's just not working in CC 2014 unfortunately.

Specifically, I'm looking for the Advance 1 Frame Forward and Advance 1 Frame Back shortcuts. I've had this changed to the D and F keys forever now as that makes so much more sense to me (having my left hand on the left side of the keyboard and the other on the mouse). Anyway, sorry to bother you specifically with my problem. It's just that you had answered a similar question in the past, so I thought you might have a quick solution.

Would love to hear from you. Either thanks for your time.

Cheers,

ALEX KUZELICKI

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 10, 2014 at 3:16:38 pm

When you click the link to take you to the preferences directory, do you not see a file with the word shortcut in the name?

I don't have CC on my work machine (I do at home though), so I'm not sure exactly what it's called. In CS6 (the one I have at work) it's pretty easy to find.

Also, if you'll look at my post, I linked to the original discussion where Todd Kopriva suggested that workflow, not me. I've not adjusted the keyboard shortcuts in AE at all. I'm just super-used to them by now. ;)

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:05:13 pm

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.

I did eventually find the commands to change. Was looking in the first preferences file that comes up when you hit the 'Reveal Preferences in Finder' button, which isn't the shortcuts one. As soon as I realised my mistake I was happy... but also felt a bit dumb, haha.

Ended up posting the result on the main After Effects thread.

As you say, most people probably wouldn't need to change any shortcuts but I'm a bit weird, haha - I like having my D and F keys to advance frames. Have adjusted the same thing in Premiere Pro because that's where your hand naturally rests. I don't have to keep moving it over to the far right simply to move frames forward or back. Makes for a much quicker and natural workflow... for me anyway.

Anyway, thanks again for your help... and super-prompt reply. :)

Cheers for now,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:18:46 pm

No problem. I can certainly see the advantages for many workflows to changing keyboard shortcuts. I just never got around to it with AE.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Mauro Achille
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:45:07 pm

Jason, I agree with you, the script interface makes it easier, but I have the following problem: I can't locate the "After Effects Shortcuts File" because the program's browser doesn't recognize hidden folders, and I have my Adobe Preferences Folder in a hidden folder.

I have used the Terminal Command that shows in this link to reveal all hidden folders in the disk: http://www.wikihow.com/Show-Hidden-Files-and-Folders-on-Mac-OS-X;

So, hidden folders are revealed in the "finder", but not in the After Effects browser. I have the same problem when I try to import something, hidden folders don't show anywhere..

I tried moving the "After Effects Shortcuts file" to a different folder, not the hidden one. That way I can access the KeyUp Script, modify it and everything, even load a Shortcuts Saved Setting, but unfortunately it doesn't work, the application doesn't seem to recognize it.

I'm working with Adobe Creative Cloud in Mac Osx 10.9.5

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:12:30 am

I'd have to do some digging as I do my day to day work on a PC, but I have an older macbook pro at home too.

What is that you're trying to do with the script, other than the obvious custom keyboard shortcut editing? I haven't found a need for that script since I worked exclusively on a laptop (limited keyboard).

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Mauro Achille
on Jul 2, 2015 at 4:26:14 pm

Just that, to be able to edit keyboard shortcuts easily..

this Keyd-Up version was the solution: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3462772/KeyEd%20Up_v1.8.zip

Thanks!

Return to posts index

fede gravi
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:42:44 am

This just work for me (cc2015 osx10.10.4)

KeyEd Up doesn't work here because it is missing a file
The file that the script was missing has a different name in AE CC (aka version 12.0)...
So you really need to go to Terminal first and ask your Mac to always show you the Library, by typing:
chflags nohidden ~/Library/
And then when launching the script in AE, when it says it can't find the shortcut file, it is because it has a different name than what the scripts expects. The next window it asks you to locate the file (that is why you need this Library to be accessible).
it is under Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/12.0 (or 13 or 13.5...)
Adobe After Effects 12.0 Mac en_US Shortcuts.txt (or 13 or 13.5...)
Once you selects this, KeyEd Up lunches and finally works the way it should.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]