ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting traparent layer from After Effects to FCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Dorrier
Exporting traparent layer from After Effects to FCP
on Mar 26, 2014 at 7:28:33 pm

Hello,

I'm having issues with my exported transparent layers, exported from After Effects in to FCP. Everything seems to works OK, however I'm getting a white-ish edge on each of the exported transparent layers.

Perhaps this is due to my export settings? I've attached a few screen shots including one of my export settings from AE. In working through the issue I'm inclined to think it may be due to the fact that I have masks on the shapes to feather their edges. Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Exporting traparent layer from After Effects to FCP
on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:37:28 pm

You didn't attach any screenshots.

It sounds like you are working with premultiplied channels, but Final Cut Pro isn't interpreting the image as having premultiplied channels.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Alex Dorrier
on Mar 27, 2014 at 1:01:07 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, Todd! Looks like I didn't attach the screenshots correctly. I've reattached them for you to check out.

I took a look at the post, it's very relevant! Thank you for that. It sounds like I will need to change the 'interpretation method'. I went in and tried to fiddle around with it, however the option to select 'interpreation method' from the 'File' drop down is greyed out unless I'm working with an imported video clip. I'm trying to export shapes from AE in to FCP.

Hopefully the screenshots will give you some additional insight. I'll continue to play around with it but let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Thanks again!

screenshot2014-03-26at3.14.27pm.png
screenshot2014-03-26at3.12.27pm.png
screenshot2014-03-26at3.13.35pm.png

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:54:15 pm

The problem is that the premultiplied channels are not being interpreted correctly _in FCP_.

In your third screenshot, it shows that you have the output module set to export premultiplied channels. That's fine, as long as you interpret the channels in FCP correctly.

Or, you could change the After Effects output module settings to export straight channels.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog

Return to posts index

Alex Dorrier
on Mar 27, 2014 at 10:34:16 pm

That's it! Thank you, Todd! Very helpful!

Cheers,
Alex

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]