ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Fixing telecined frame rate flicker?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Doughtie
Fixing telecined frame rate flicker?
on Mar 26, 2014 at 2:18:45 pm

I have some public domain film footage shot off-the-screen. Presumably the original is either 18 or 24fps.

I shot it years ago with a miniVD cam, shot NTSC 4:3 29.97.

I am trying to clear up the frame rate difference (which creates the dark/light "flashing") for just a couple of minutes of the material. I have CS4 suite to work with.

Can I do this with the tools in hand in AE CS4? Never done it before, so trying to shortcut a lot of guessing. I have searched the posts and done some "try this, try that", but I am spinning my wheels.

Return to posts index

Mike Sevigny
Re: Fixing telecined frame rate flicker?
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:06:24 pm
Last Edited By Mike Sevigny on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:09:07 pm

hey Jon,
It doesn't sound like it's an interlace issue with the DV footage. Howaever, anything to do with interpreting the footage can be found in Project Settings in the File Menu and in the Interpret Footage>Main when you right click on your footage in the Project tab.

Depending on the refresh rate and other settings of the monitor you used when filming it, that flicker may be baked into the footage. You likely can't remove it.. only improve it slightly. If you have a chance to reshoot, it's possible to get it looking right.

Anyone have a working solution for this once it's in the can?

Mike Sevigny
TorusFX Inc.
https://vimeo.com/channels/mikesevigny/
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-sevigny/49/875/495

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:46:42 pm

Here's a question: when you say "shot off a screen", it this a movie projector screen or video monitor? I ask to determine how difficult it would be to track down the original footage.... which would give you a FAR better result. You'd know the frame rate, you could get it scanned properly, perhaps, and you'd have a better handle on shat you're dealing with.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 27, 2014 at 12:50:14 am

most likely the original footage is flickery too. most 18fps is not in pristine condition anyway. try this ae template i wrote a while back. I have used it on public domain footage that has completely horrible flickering and it makes it perfect.

http://f1.creativecow.net/6154/auto-white-balance-cs3-and-up

if you enable the text layer and scroll Gamma Clamp at gamma*10 so that the text box reads 25, it will fix timelapse and old movie's flicker and white balance

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:40:23 am

I don't remember if AE CS4 had the color stabilizer effect, but that has worked for me.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:59:03 pm

Thanks to all. I will try these things, and let you know if they did the trick.

The flicker is "baked in" so to speak, since it was shot off a projection screen. SO we are also likely seeing shutter speed difference as well.

Return to posts index

Jon Doughtie
on Mar 28, 2014 at 5:22:51 pm

I've tried everything we've come up with, and can a get a little improvement. No way to eliminate it completely, but some improvement is better than none!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2014 at 9:50:05 pm

Congratulations! I've had to deal with a similar situation when an old, grizzled, cheap and impatient reporter who had no clue why TV stations used to have film chains shot old news film off a screen and onto Beta.

It was bad enough at 24 fps. It must have been Hell On Earth at 18 fps, like yours.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]