ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddy AlvarezAfter Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:39:26 pm

I'm running into some strange rendering territory and need some help or at least some direction to a solution.

When I render to my network drive with Multiprocessing turned OFF, the 1920x1080 composition completes its render, yet when I turn Multiprocessing ON, and hit render again, nothing happens. When I stop the render I get the following:

After Effects error: Rendering error while writing to file “F:\filename.mov”. An output module failed. The file may be damaged or corrupted. (-1610153464)
After Effects warning: Could not delete the file 'Z:\filename.mov'.

I've since renamed the second render and still get the same error response.

The files were being rendered to a Network drive that is connected to the PC via the Unity ISIS Client Manager.

I did collect the project from the network drive and stored it locally in the PC's Secondary drive (a Seagate Cheetah 15K Drive).. again rendering with multiprocessing OFF is fine..but with multiprocessing ON, same exact failures.

here is the multiprocessing settings in AE CC:

I just received an HP Z820 that runs on Dual Xeon E5-2650 8-core processors with 32GB RAM on Windows 7.

if anybody knows of anything, please let me know
i'd really appreciate it.

Return to posts index

mathew fullerRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:49:23 pm

Don't use multiprocessing. It doesn't work correctly in AE at all.

Use this. The trial is free and runs fine. No need to buy the pro version.

http://aescripts.com/bg-renderer/

~ Mat

My Work:
http://www.morecompletefx.com

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:21:46 pm
Last Edited By Ridley Walker on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:36:47 pm

Its a terrific script, however according to the author it only works in CS3 - CS5.5

You might try rendering via Adobe Media Encoder.

EDIT: I should learn not to post before testing...

I tried BG Renderer on a simple Comp in CC and it works.

There may be some caveats when using the script in CS6 or CC, perhaps the script's author Lloyd Alvarez would know.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:30:48 pm

With multiprocessing on, Ae launches multiple instances of the renderer. Each loads its own copy of the project and footage into RAM. This can take a little while: you are basically launching Ae and opening your project 11 times.

You might also try leaving a little more RAM to other apps, especially if you're doing anything else while you're rendering.

What do you see in the way of disk activity and CPU utilization when you start the render? Do you see RAM utilization climbing?

Out of curiosity, what about rendering to a non-QuickTime format like PSD sequence? Does this move along any better?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Eddy AlvarezRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 2:05:26 pm

looking at the task manager...all processors are quiet..ram allocation stays around the same area as well.

I did set rendering as a photoshop sequence but it took 5min 45 sec.

Quicktime (using AvidDNxHD 145) without multiprocessing took 4:24.
which I find confusing.

Same results with other projects..both converted from CS5 and created in CC..multiprocessing off renders faster.

i am pretty disappointed to say this would be my solution for now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 5:35:04 pm

There are certain effects and plugins that simply do not work at all or don't work properly when using multiprocessing. We don't know what effects or plugins you're using, so they could be causing you problems as well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eddy AlvarezRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:45:08 pm

no real third party plug-ings used...It does use Color Finesse but the spot involves eps files, other quicktime movies (rendered out of avid), and psd's all of which are less than 10MB each. it's a 30 second spot.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:43:10 pm

Just for fun, you might want to try a test render with a different codec with multi-processing turned on, maybe only a few seconds. In the past, I've run into similar errors rendering quicktime across the network.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Darwinius BerarRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:02:36 pm
Last Edited By Darwinius Berar on Mar 26, 2014 at 8:08:56 pm

I encountered this problem many times on some big projects. My solution witch always works for me is:

1. turn off multiprocessing

2. add composition to renderq

2. set output to image sequence and check Skip existing frames

3. save the project and close AE

4. open command prompt and type this(if you use CC i think you change CS6 to CC, i am not sure, i use CS6):

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\afterfx.exe -project c:\projects\project_1.aep

or you could go direct in Ae folder where afterfx.exe is located and use only

aerender -project c:\projects\project_1.aep

"c:\projects\project_1.aep" is the path to your saved project.

Enter this command line 4-6-8 times, depending on your ram usage, each time you enter the command line will open an ae renderengine instance who will skip the files already written and you will render a lot faster then even AE multiprocessing.

I always use this technique to render big projects and always works.

Return to posts index

Shay CarriereRe: After Effects CC - Renders Are slow or Fail while using Multiprocessing
by on Mar 27, 2014 at 8:05:42 pm

I got this same error on three occasions. It happened whenever I tried to change the multiprocessor settings and then render. All I'd do was save out the project and restart AE and it rendered fine.

I just figured it was an issue with the 'aeselflink' send instructions hanging since I would still see them in activity monitor even after cancelling a render.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]