ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Text Alignment In Element 3D

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John DaviesText Alignment In Element 3D
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 6:11:37 pm

I am building a 30 minute countdown timer for an event. Using Dan's brilliant expression, I have my text counting down perfectly.

I've then used Element 3D to style the text and to allow for some random 3D movement on the camera. The problem lies in the alignment of the text though as it counts down. The different size and shapes of each number as it changes causes the alignment of the text to jump slightly, as it is all re-positioned to accommodate the new number.

Does anyone know of any workarounds or if there's any alignment settings that Element would read?

The text layer that Element is reading from doesn't jump about in the same way, and all alignment/paragraph settings applied make no changes in the 3D layer.

Any help appreciated!

Return to posts index

Cassius MarquesRe: Text Alignment In Element 3D
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:55:26 pm

Have you tried turning off auto scale?

Or maybe you can add some geometry that will keep your bounding box consistent as the inner numbers change. That you can after mask it out, or set it invisible with materials, idk. Never actually tried.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Text Alignment In Element 3D
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:38:41 pm

It's also important to use a monospaced font, that is, a font which has a fixed width - not using one will often cause this problem:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved