ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting between AE and Premiere??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey BullockExporting between AE and Premiere??
by on Mar 24, 2014 at 11:15:56 pm

Hello CreativeCow Community!
I am a student/independent filmmaker and I am wondering about how to edit footage in BOTH After Effects and Premiere Pro.
My most common use for this is when I need to denoise footage in After Effects, and sequence it in Premiere. Of course there are lots of things I use AE for, but sequencing and finalizing is all done in Premiere.
In the past, I have done my AE edits, and exported as lossless. Not a big deal when I only need to edit a few clips. Recently I have been doing much larger projects, that require extensive effects editing in AE. This takes FOREVER to export lossless for each and every clip, but I don't want to compress or lose quality before bringing it into my sequence.
I know there must be some way to more effectively transfer edited footage from AE to Premiere and vice-versa. If I were to export H.264 or otherwise compressed media out of AE, would that then compress further and lose even more quality when I export the final project out of Premiere at H.264?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated!
-SeedLife

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Exporting between AE and Premiere??
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:17:45 pm

Why export at all? Save your premiere project, import it into AE, adjust it in AE, save AE file. Then import .aep file into premiere, no rendering or exporting needed.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Exporting between AE and Premiere??
by on Mar 25, 2014 at 6:37:37 pm

[Joey Bullock] "My most common use for this is when I need to denoise footage in After Effects... Recently I have been doing much larger projects, that require extensive effects editing in AE. This takes FOREVER to export lossless for each and every clip, but I don't want to compress or lose quality before bringing it into my sequence."

It's not rendering a lossless file that takes forever, it's denoising. Analyzing and removing noise is highly CPU-intensive.

I do not recommend dynamic link in this workflow. I think it's best to render out your shots as individual files and manage them in your NLE. This will cost a little bit of time upfront, but it will save you time in the long run, because you will not need to continually render and re-render those segments over and over in Premiere.

Rather than straight uncompressed, though, I'd suggest using a lightly-compressed mezzanine format, like CineForm, DNxHD, or ProRes.

[Joey Bullock] "I know there must be some way to more effectively transfer edited footage from AE to Premiere and vice-versa."

You can import a Premiere Pro project into Ae. You can copy and paste between the two apps. You can use Dynamic Link.

Ultimately, though, I really think it's best, especially on larger projects, to render media. If you embed a project link (done in the output module and usually checked by default), you can re-open the After Effects project that created a rendered clip in Premiere by right-clicking it and choosing Edit Original.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]