ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Any ideas on how to recreate this effect? (after effects)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bartow
Any ideas on how to recreate this effect? (after effects)
on Mar 23, 2014 at 9:42:37 pm

This is from a -key and peele- sketch where they recreate a Mr. T PSA. The effect looks like it has embellished saturation and a blur of some sort, with little (or no grain) but it still looks old. Any tips on what might have been used? I can come close with just saturation, curves, and a fast blur -- but its still not the same. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Re: Any ideas on how to recreate this effect? (after effects)
on Mar 24, 2014 at 1:12:24 am

A link would be of great help...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Al Bartow
on Mar 24, 2014 at 1:40:00 am

Haha sorry, I swear I pasted it!

Return to posts index

Hans Wijnen
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:39:02 pm

Use the tint fx, think that will come a long way. Or other wise look for the Magic Bullet effect presets from Red Giant

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:14:17 pm

A time code would help. I'm not sure if you're talking about the chromatic aberration (the sort of rainbow effect in the white areas) or the colorful slide that they use.

They probably actually shot this thing with an old camera, because thats the easiest and most authentic way to get that look, but I THINK chromatic aberration is what you want.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Al Bartow
on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:10:29 pm

The chromatic ab. was a big help! Im mainly concerned with how they have the colors so blown out, but then washed out at the same time (which Im tring to recreate with tint as suggested above) and Im also trying to give it a less HD look (which Im trying various blurs set to 1 or 2). Im taping with a 60D at 30FPS. Would changing my FPS maybe aid at all?

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 8:25:19 pm

I'd interlace the footage on the output.

Also, the levels effect will be a great help. Drop the input white down so that it pushes some of your midtones into the white to simulate clipping. Then bring your output white down so that it doesn't render those whites as pure white. Then bring your output black up so that the blacks wont render as pure black. Now mess with the gamma, I would recommend dropping it some, but see what happens based on your footage. This procedure will wash out your image and remove contrast.

That should pretty much do the trick for you along with chromatic abberation. If you wanted to combine tint with it, I would only apply a very slightly yellow color.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Doyle Lewis
on Mar 25, 2014 at 3:08:08 pm

I agree with George those things should help with your overall color grading, but maybe use Cinestyle on your 60D so that you start with a very flat image to begin with. I think you should shoot 60 FPS instead of 30 because it will help with getting you the home video look because it will cut down on motion blur. Also Lighting I think was important with this video. It is all shot with overhead hard lighting. It has the illusion that it was shot in the sun with no additional lighting and that helps with making it look like a run and gun VHS movie. You will probably want to use some reflectors to help make shots not look too blown out or too dark, but be sure to make it subtle. Lastly I would say dont worry about setting blurs to mimic SD, instead do all you color grading and cropping (to 4:3) at full quality and then when your done just export to SD quality. Then bring it back into a 720 or 1080 project and stretch it so it fits top to bottom and has letterboxes on the sides. This should get you the blurry SD quality look you are talking about.

Doyle Lewis, Assistant Videographer

thinkck.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]