ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a space zoom/wormhole type thing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart ClarkCreating a space zoom/wormhole type thing
by on Mar 22, 2014 at 10:08:10 pm

I'm a newbie to the forum so hi! Basically I'm looking to create a space zoom/infinite track into constantly flowing neon lines, like at 1:16 in this reference

I've tried loads of different methods, with varying levels of success. I've also played around with some particle effects but nothing has really said 'nailed it' to me yet! Would love to get a few ideas on this one, or any specific plugin settings if anyone has done a similar thing before, many thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Creating a space zoom/wormhole type thing
by on Mar 23, 2014 at 12:22:25 am

Here's a good article on the history of the slit scan effect (which is what it's called, being achieved with analogue methods back then):

Take a close look at it, and you can see that there's a mirroring effect going on, either top to bottom, or side to side, so you could create half of the animation, then use Distort/Mirror to create the other side, placing a feathered layer of black in between. The basic idea is that you need to have the animation look as if it's coming at you (the Offset plugin could help) endlessly.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Stuart ClarkRe: Creating a space zoom/wormhole type thing
by on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:37:38 pm

Wow, that's a really interesting article - I had no idea how that worked. No Film School do some great articles. Many thanks for your advice too Joe, I will try out what you suggested

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved