ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

DNA Gel Electrophoresis animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Omar EstradaDNA Gel Electrophoresis animation
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 4:50:19 pm
Last Edited By Omar Estrada on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:02:22 pm

Hi all!

I'm a visual artist and I'm working in an animation where I want to synchronize a "realistic" DNA Gel Electrophoresis run with a specific music.

The idea is to create a sequence of "genes" moving from A to B that, when a specific drum beats, brighten and change color while keeping moving.

Please, think in it as a sort of "DNA sound wave".

I checked in the Tutorials section and found several great ones, like how to create a DNA background, but I haven´t been able to figure out this migrating genes one, although it´s probably an easy task (I hope!:))

I will include a picture of a real DNA run, so you can see what I´m trying to achieve. More than a fancy DNA strand animation I´m looking for a slow pace realistic analog look, if this makes sense (I mean, the analog look of a real electrophoresis run in a lab rather than a super digital effects look).

I will keep searching for solutions but if some of the great experienced people who collaborates here have specific suggestions, I would love to follow them

Thanks a lot in advance!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: DNA Gel Electrophoresis animation
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:07:39 pm

There are tutorials around that show how to make an animated digital audio level meter, which looks a lot like your picture. I bet you can find one that will help you a lot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Omar EstradaRe: DNA Gel Electrophoresis animation
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:13:01 pm
Last Edited By Omar Estrada on Mar 21, 2014 at 5:17:19 pm

Thanks a lot, Dave. I will search with the keywords you suggest, "digital audio level meter". Although, apart from the square units of an old digital meter, I´m also looking for the specific DNA look. You know, less defined, sometimes blurred to the point that in some segments becomes more a semi transparent trace than an unit, etc.

I actually had found one of this before but it was a fake one, I mean it didn´t synchronize with any music. It was more a graphic.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help :)

Return to posts index

by on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:33:50 pm

Mmm I've been checking the audio meters but even when they use a bar solution that could be useful, they are not cycling either, as I intend (not just jumping from a fixed bottom but looping while running across... this is, like starting at the right, leaving the composition at the left border and restarting at the right).

Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: DNA Gel Electrophoresis animation
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 11:53:53 pm

It takes a bit of work to get what you're looking to achieve - this should put you on the right track:

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 22, 2014 at 4:20:20 am
Last Edited By Omar Estrada on Mar 22, 2014 at 4:39:18 am

Thanks a lot Joe. I guess I will have to modify the appearance after to match the look I need but yes, it looks like a good start.

Thanks a again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]