ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Grogan3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 3:57:13 pm

Hi all, sorry for something that might be obvious, but I'm a noob and I'm getting really confused.

I want simply to have a 3d object which I bring into AE and rotate. Lets say for example the box for monopoly. I understand that the Live3d option from photoshop went after CS5.5, so that's ok.

I have CS6 and been trying to work out how to do it with no luck, so I downloaded a trial version of CC, which comes with Cinema 4D.

And I'm having no luck whatsoever. I've tried to watch some tutorials, but each one seems to do the animation is C4D, moving the camera, etc. I don't want that. I want to use AE to do all the animations, I just want a 3d object that I can manipulate, rotate and so on.

Can I actually do this with AE 6 or CC, or do I need another plugin? I thought C4D would allow me to do it.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: 3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:08:10 pm

Check out Element 3D by Video Copilot.

Return to posts index

Paul GroganRe: 3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:45:53 pm

I did look at Element 3d, but... I'm an amateur. This is a hobby only really and I don't really want to do anything fancy. just simply create a 3d object and rotate it.

Is this possible with CC and C4D. I'm struggling with the video tutorials now, and it seems that once the scene is in AE I cant really do anything with it - all the rotations and animations I need to do in C4D, but I just cant see how I'm going to get this to work, since the rest of my movie is created in AE, but then I need to go somewhere else to do something. I'm just not sure how I'm supposed to get them linked together so it looks correct.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 4:47:22 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:02:01 pm

C4D WILL allow you to do it. You do it in C4D. And you learn the skill of timing between applications. People have been doing it for years.

Your option is to build a box in AE, and then you can rotate it, move around it, etc. until the cows come home. The downside: it's tough to get things to look realistic in AE. It's easier in C4D.

But unless you want to pay something on the order of 40 bucks a month just to maintain your hobby, I'd stick with CS6.
After Effects CC is a rental-only application. I might be off on the precise dollar amounts, but it's pretty close and you get the idea anyway: you rent it, you don't own it.

There is a freebie, open-source and highly-recommended 3D application called Blender. You might want to take a look at it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul GroganRe: 3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:16:59 pm

Thanks Dave. I figured that I would need to switch to CC in order to get it working, and since I wanted to do it, I know there would be a monthly cost.

But, if there is a way of doing it with CS6, which I've already got, that's good. Will check out Blender.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: 3d object in After Effects CS6 or CC
by on Mar 20, 2014 at 1:07:35 am

After Effects CC includes the CINEWARE effect, which essentially embeds the C4D renderer into a layer in Ae. With this, you can leave your camera in your Ae comp and the C4D scene will react to it. (Just remember that the C4D/CINEWARE layer is really 2D and not integrated into the 3D scene; you'll have to make good use of multiple layers and object buffers or depth maps to integrate C4D's 3D with Ae's 3D layers.)

With After Effects CS6 and the MAXON Exchange plugins [link], you can export camera, light, and 3D layer data from Ae to a .C4D file.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved