ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darwinius BerarSpace bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:10:18 pm

I use after effects for more then 10 years and i am literally tired of waiting to be implemented such a basic task(between many other). Smoke, Apple Motion, even weird blender has real time video/audio playback when pressing space bar. Is any way of making this possible in AE? and i mean in AE not linked ae comp in Premier and such workarounds.Is really so hard to implement the premier engine with cuda acceleration to do some basic playback?
AE uses cuda for so many things but A over B is still software rendered?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:00:22 pm

So what's wrong with hitting the zero key on the number pad? You've only got to move your hand two inches to the right. I admit that it takes a bit of getting used to - maybe a day or so when I started with AE 10 years ago, but there are other things I'd much rather see high on the priority list than this. I know nothing about programming so saying that something is easy to program could mean a day with one programmer, or three months with a team of fifteen programmers. But if you really want it, post it on the Adobe feature requests page:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

As I say, it took a short bit to get used to, and it has always worked this way. You might be able to change this functionality yourself with a free keyboard macro program.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Darwinius BerarRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:51:44 pm

I use a small apple keyboard without 0 numpad because i can not stand any cables around me anymore, and is not that, but always software ram-preview. Was just saying is about time that Ae should integrate hardware accelerated real time playback, the possibility is there. I am no coder myself and i know is a lot of work but more people should request this. I have 2 GPU cards and indeed AE uses both when using ray tracing and rendering is very fast but playback still the old software B-N-Ram preview.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 6:17:29 pm

[Darwinius Berar] "AE uses cuda for so many things but A over B is still software rendered?"

Ae uses CUDA for one thing and one thing only, the ray-tracing renderer.

Ae itself does all rendering on the CPU. (Note that plugins are able to use GPU acceleration if they are specifically written for it.) Moving the entire render pipeline (including the effects API that all those third-party effects are built on) to the GPU seems non-trivial.

But on the subject of performance, Steve Forde, the Ae product manager, recently posted this on his blog:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/01/happy-new-year-and-a-question.h...

I'd love to see better performance, too, and I encourage you to submit your feature requests [link].

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Darwinius BerarRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 8:05:49 pm

''Ae uses CUDA for one thing and one thing only, the ray-tracing renderer.''

I am very happy when Ae renders with both CUDA gpu cards i have, but exactly thats the problem. Premier has mercury playback engine witch from my understanding is sort of a module/plugin, but without cuda premier has very big problems even with HD real-time playback(thats why i had to change my few months old FirePro for some CUDA cards), when an iPhone 5 can edit/grade HD H264 realtime without any CUDA(ridiculous). I know are some economical reasons behind not developing hardware playback in AE, is obvious, but still, its about time for this feature. I will submit some features requests but i doubt will be ever implemented. I seems to me that the road Adobe has taken with Ae and Premier is very very straight forward. That means minimum improvements for as long as possible, 1-3 features pro year. Take a look at NUKE how The Foundry really develops that product, and is a much smaller company. As for Adobe forums, i think they are more present here then there :).

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:18:25 pm
Last Edited By Todd Kopriva on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:18:53 pm

> 1-3 features pro year

Huh?

How do you count only "1-3 features" in these three releases that we did last year?

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects...

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/09/after-effects-cc-12-1-whats-new...

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/12/after-effects-cc-12-2-december-...

BTW, regarding the original question:
If you want to switch your keyboard shortcuts to use spacebar to initiate RAM preview instead of 0 to do so, that isn't hard. I think that we are going to switch that to be the default in the near-ish future, as part of a UI overhaul... but no promises. You can cast your vote here:
http://adobe.ly/feature_request

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
After Effects quality engineering
After Effects team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Tim DrageRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:58:48 pm

If you want to switch your keyboard shortcuts to use spacebar to initiate RAM preview instead of 0 to do so, that isn't hard.

NOoooo i have enough trouble in other apps wrongly pressing spacebar for the pan tool as it is, I'd go crazy if it changed in AE :D

Return to posts index

Tim DrageRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 21, 2014 at 9:35:58 am

wait what am I talking about

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Space bar playback of audio/video in after effects, will be ever implemented ?
by on Mar 20, 2014 at 12:50:04 am

[Darwinius Berar] " Premier has mercury playback engine witch from my understanding is sort of a module/plugin, but without cuda premier has very big problems even with HD real-time playback(thats why i had to change my few months old FirePro for some CUDA cards), when an iPhone 5 can edit/grade HD H264 realtime without any CUDA(ridiculous)."

Mercury Playback Engine is how all media is played on every Pr system, with or without GPU support. Hardware acceleration is only a part of the Mercury Playback Engine, and it does support both CUDA and OpenCL. The GPUs do accelerate transforms and some effects, but they do not accelerate decoding.

There's a lot of good information about what is and what is not accelerated in Premiere by the GPU here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2011/02/cuda-mercury-playback-engine-and...

The iPhone actually has H.264 decoding support in hardware.

I think that both Adobe and The Foundry are advancing their apps nicely. Todd pointed out the features added to Ae, but there have been quite a few features added to Pr since CC was released, too, and I think NUKE/HIERO is going to get really interesting in the next few years.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

by on Mar 20, 2014 at 11:42:15 am

I love them all, even if i am sometimes frustrated about some features that are not there, Ae is part of my daily life for long time now, some sort of companion :). I respect you guys for what have you done with Ae and Premier till now, are extremely stable and i have not got a crash in cs6(i prefer cs6 to cc for now) for ..i can remember really. I submitted a feature requests with some of the features i personally think would make working in Ae on bigger projects a lot more easier. Maybe would be implemented, maybe not, but Ae is and would be part of my life forever.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]