ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Cool Disappearing Effect from Simple Footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Deeder Murray-Holmes
Cool Disappearing Effect from Simple Footage
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:28:02 pm

Hi all,

Very long story short: I thought I had several hours to get three different student actors on an outdoor green screen, then things went haywire and I ended up with about ten minutes total and no green screen.

The best I could come up with in the 30 seconds I had to think was to have each actor walk toward or across the camera, then leave the camera running to capture a clean plate. Down and dirty old school "disappear into thin air."

But there's got to be something way cooler I can do, preferably without roto. Can someone inspire me, or better yet point me toward a tutorial?

Thanks!

Deirdre

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Cool Disappearing Effect from Simple Footage
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:49:21 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Mar 18, 2014 at 11:50:12 pm

if the camera was on a tripod, you could duplicate the footage and create a clean plate by shifting the duplicate layer's inpoint in a few seconds where the actor wasn't there before, then simply animate the opacity for them to fade out. use that as an alpha matte difference layer transfer mode to drive an effect of smoke. no roto. 5 min. done. grab a coffee.

Return to posts index

Deeder Murray-Holmes
on Mar 18, 2014 at 11:04:37 pm

The good news (if you can call it that) is I was locked down the whole time, so I have the actor and clean plate for each. I was even able to throw together a placeholder for my editor. Here are the three temp shots: https://vimeo.com/89454377

Return to posts index

George Goodman
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:56:16 pm

I think you can use a difference matte if I understand you correctly. That should take care of it for you.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

Rory Tate
on Mar 20, 2014 at 7:29:02 pm

Bloody brilliant!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]