ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3D... Why doesn't it look like the preview window?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dizz
Element 3D... Why doesn't it look like the preview window?
on Mar 18, 2014 at 5:55:16 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here.

So... When I'm in Element 3D and I'm doing my thing in the preview window setting up my materials and reflections and environments and such and I come up with something I really like... in the PREVIEW window. Now I'd expect when I OK the preview that the result in my comp will look like the preview window version of the element but it never does.

What is the point of this? I can move the environment around and mess with the lighting and get semi close to what was in the preview window but can never get it as nice. What is the point of the preview window if it is not an accurate representation of the final result haha? Is there some secret trick that I'm missing out on guys?

I want the preview window as my final result. Is there any way to achieve this? Kramer should make a button that carries the preview window light and environment settings to the comp when you OK it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Element 3D... Why doesn't it look like the preview window?
on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:23:51 am

The preview window is a place to see your textures on your model with some basic lighting to get a sense of how it will respond to light; it's not a place to actually try to compose.

Why? Because that's best done in the context of the rest of the scene. Other layers, the comp camera and comp lights will all have a big impact on your creative decisions, and these cannot be accurately duplicated in the Element preview window.

That said, your suggestion to export the preview camera back to Ae sounds interesting and would be worth submitting to Video Copilot.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mark Dizz
on Mar 19, 2014 at 5:07:07 pm

Walter I totally get what you are saying with other layers and lights having an effect on the element 3d object BUT it is still not the case with a fresh comp. Even if I have nothing in my comp but a source text layer and an Element 3D object of that text the preview window is still not consistent with the output.

Hopefully Kramer can do something about that because a lot of times I'm pretty satisfied with the preview only to realize I have more work to do after I okay it haha.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Mar 21, 2014 at 8:54:41 pm
Last Edited By Cassius Marques on Mar 21, 2014 at 8:56:47 pm

Mine look the same. Are you forgetting to turn on the same lightning presets that you're using on the preview by any chance (under render settings -> lightning)? And turn off comp lights (or precompose E3D) if that's messing things up.

Edit: My bad for rushing to a conclusion...re-reading I saw you are using the same settings. Just be sure you don't have another lights though.

Return to posts index

Claude Rozsa
on Apr 6, 2015 at 10:22:43 am

Hi; I'm just having the same problem; I use E3D V2. I set my whole combination of objects in E3D preview, everything is ok and fine for me; I press OK to return to my fresh comp in AE and here I am with my E3D combination completely in a different place and if for any reason I have to go back to E3D after having adjusted in AE the elements, when I come back to AE after the alteration again everything is messed up. This is the case whether I link my camera or not to a group null in E3D.

Where is the flaw; what should be done? It messes everything in particular when you try to move the camera in AE; you have to set up again all your key frames! And it is horribly time consuming!

Return to posts index

Cheryl Teh
on Mar 30, 2014 at 10:48:21 am

I'm facing the same problem here..with element 3D in a fresh comp, and the color turned out lighter/toned down/faded at my comp

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]