ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Parent layer to Trapcode 3D stroke

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan AndreassonParent layer to Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:50:37 am

I'm using Trapcode 3D stroke for a pretty simple project simulating a drawing drawn up (don't know if that is understandable english) in various seconds.
I'm using illustrator to draw the illustration (with brush tool) and then I just copy it all into a new solid which create a bunch of masks, then I apply 3d Stroke.
So far it looks pretty great when the drawing appears and the lines growing into the final illustration.

Now, I want another layer with a simple drawing of an arm holding a pen to automatically follow where ever the line is at the moment so that it loos like it's the pen actually daring the lines.
I really don't want to do this manually since there will till a lot of time change and tweaking to fit a voice over.
I guess this would be possible with an expression but can't really fint out how to manage this.

Hope anyone can help out or gone a hint if it's even possible.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Parent layer to Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:43:10 pm

Open up the mask shape for mask 1 and click on "mask path" and "Cntl+V" to copy the path. I would add a null, press "P" to open it's position, click "Position" and "Cntl + P" to paste the path. When you paste, AE, will create roving keyframes, so you just need to grab the last keyframe to adjust your animation. Then repeat for each mask and paste to your null after the previous keyframes. Place your pen layer into it's starting position and parent to the null.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Johan AndreassonRe: Parent layer to Trapcode 3D stroke
by on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:48:50 pm

Hi, John thanks for replying!
Does this mean that, if I change the timing of the animation I will have to adjust all the end keyframes of all the nulls (in this case 35 nulls/masks)?

I going to make a lot of drawings and a it's gonna be a lot of timing to the speaker so I want to find a way to make the process as automatic as possible from the start.

~ Johan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved