ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Element 3D mismatched scaling of custom mask layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael GarskeElement 3D mismatched scaling of custom mask layers
by on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:17:09 pm

I have two custom mask layers in Element 3D: the first is text that's been converted to a mask, the second is the same masks as the first with a rectangular mask around them. The goal is to have the text of the first mask fit through the hole in the rectangle of the second. Though the text masks are identical they don't line up. Here's a couple of screen grabs to help illustrate the problem:

Does anyone know why this could be occurring and how to fix it? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Element 3D mismatched scaling of custom mask layers
by on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:36:02 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:22:34 am

There's a difference in the spacing between characters. Something happened there. Solve it, and the problem ought to go away.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: Element 3D mismatched scaling of custom mask layers
by on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:57:28 pm

It turns out I needed to boost the scale of the group with the text a bit. The two groups aren't equal size by default in Element even though they are created using copies of the same mask. Maybe Element is automatically scaling custom mask objects based on the size of the masks in each layer? Sorry for the false alarm! Thanks for your quick response time as always.

Return to posts index

Matthew KeaneRe: Element 3D mismatched scaling of custom mask layers
by on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:57:07 pm

In the Element scene editor, make sure you have unchecked the 'Auto Preset Scale' (in Extrusion settings) and 'Normalize size' (in Transform settings). This should stop Element changing the size of the objects based on the sizes of the masks, and get things a bit closer. Annoyingly, it may still not get things to line up 100% - I'm dealing with this now, and it's a PITA!

Matthew Keane

Freelancer based in Paris, France
- Motion Graphics, Video Editing & Effects, Watchout Programming & Live Operation.

Return to posts index

Michael GarskeRe: Element 3D mismatched scaling of custom mask layers
by on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:07:25 pm

Thanks Matthew! I haven't used Element much and didn't know that option was there. I'm sure this will help the next time I have to use the plugin.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]