ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shades on the layer line after extended the time..?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Bo
Shades on the layer line after extended the time..?
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:56:34 pm

I started a 3D animation project with a lot of layers. and in the middle of the process I needed to extend one of the layer from the beginning of the timeline (since I wanted to change the starting point more from beginning)
and since then, on the timeline at bottom of the layer slight shades lines appeared.. and as I had the effect on the layer(Write-on) I extend the effect also to the new starting point of the layer. but the effect doesn't show on the part of the shades on (the part I extend). so I'm wondering whats happening to that part and is there any solution to solve this problem..

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Shades on the layer line after extended the time..?
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:21:57 pm

I'm not following this. Did you change or extend in & out points on a solid?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:33:05 pm

A screenshot showing your UI would probably help us understand.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:25:48 pm

Um, not to sound insulting, but how long have you been using After Effects? It's not an allplication you can just get and then use immediately with success.

For example, I see that the layer in question is #50 or something like that. This means that there are on the order of 49 layers above it that can be blocking your view of the layer in question.

I also see that you're using the Top view and not the Active Camera view... so you may not even be looking at the layer you intend to see.

Then, do you even NEED to use 3D layers? Do you KNOW if you need to use 3D layers, or are you just guessing that you should?

I really think you could gain a lot bey spending a good deal of quality time here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff....

There's a reason for doing so: it will keep you from throwing your computer out of the window in frustration.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kim Bo
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:36:27 pm

Well, I just did a screen shot... my top view, I'm often changing it to see the different angle of my 3D... And yes I do know that I need to use 3D, since it's 3D animation I'm doing... You just see a 2D on the screen shot....

Anyway, really the question is at the beginning up to around 30 sec... what is the ''layer slight shades lines'' on the timeline... why it creates this when I extend the beginning?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:40:14 pm

[Kim Bo] "Anyway, really the question is at the beginning up to around 30 sec... what is the ''layer slight shades lines'' on the timeline... why it creates this when I extend the beginning?"

That indicates that a layer has been extended before its natural beginning.

This thing with Write On looks like a bug.

If you move all your keyframes out of the slashed area into the clear area, then move the whole layer on the timeline backwards (V for move, not Y for pan behind or slip), then Write On should work as you expect.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Kim Bo
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:55:53 pm

Thanks Walter!
It's working now :)

Return to posts index

Kim Bo
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:18:46 pm

The ''map acoustic'' layer is the one I move the position almost every frame for the animation... and as you can see, the beginning to 30sec, the what I extend and you can see the ''layer slight shades lines''. And I wanted to use the ''Write-on'' effect for the beginning of my project, but nothing appear... is it because of the ''layer slight shades lines'' and why's that?

Return to posts index

Kim Bo
on Mar 13, 2014 at 8:20:10 pm

Actually I'm moving the image, so the position is alway changing almost every frame. My in point, I needed to change it and do animation until the point that I started at first, that's why I extend the beginning and my end point is ok...

The ''map acoustic'' layer is the one I move the position almost every frame for the animation... and as you can see, the beginning to 30sec, the what I extend and you can see the ''layer slight shades lines''. And I wanted to use the ''Write-on'' effect for the beginning of my project, but nothing appear... is it because of the ''layer slight shades lines'' and why's that?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 14, 2014 at 1:39:15 am

Yup, I get what you're doing. I'm asking is it actually necessary to work in 3D? If not, just go 2D. Your life will get a lot easier.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]