ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Odd distortion on TIFF after render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Leahey
Odd distortion on TIFF after render
on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:25:33 pm
Last Edited By Jay Leahey on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:27:35 pm

Not sure what the cause of this could be.. I rendered my comp out as a TIFF sequence, and in some of the rendered frames, there's some strange distortions and undesirable effects. I've checked back on my comp, and they're not there, they only appear once it's rendered as a TIFF.. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before or if there are any obvious settings I should change?..

Here is a link to a "Before and after" example I made, the top is how it appears in the comp in AE, the bottom is the rendered TIFF, it is exactly the same frame..

7224_example.jpg.zip

If anyone could shed any light on this, it'd be much appreciated. It's the last hurdle I need to jump to finally get this comp finished! lol. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Odd distortion on TIFF after render
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:05:58 pm

Rather than re-typing a boatload of text, may I refer you to a VERY recent post that may help?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1048969

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay Leahey
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:23:01 pm

Ah sorry, I did do a quick search before I posted but must have missed this. This should help:

Dell Inspiron laptop 2013
Processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (Quad-Core)
Installed RAM: 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 based processor

After Effects CS3 8.0.0.269
dva: 2.0.0.127845
QuickTime installed
39% used of 4.0 GB
369 Plug-ins

Comp is a lyric video, and as such is mostly pure animation, but there are some small pieces of video footage included too. Mostly very short .mov files taken from the Action Essentials package from Video Copilot (Meant to be AE-friendly and ready to use.) These video files are not part of the affected frames, so I doubt it is anything to do with those. The text layer in the frame shown in my example has applied to it; Fast Blur, Turbulent Displace, Liquify and Glow x2. Another frame not shown in the example had applied to it; Twitch and Liquify, and had an equal if not greater amount of distortion.

For synchronization purposes, an MP3 file was included in the comp, with a bit rate of 264 kbps. This was included in the render, but obviously the TIFFs were produced with no audio. Not sure if this might have complicated things or not.

Render settings were as follows:

Format: TIFF Sequence
Channels: RGB, Depth: Millions, Color: Premultiplied (Matted)
Quality: Best
Resolution: Full
Size 1920 x 1080
24fps
Entire comp is 8640 frames long.

In the example shown, the text layer is on top of another layer, a pre-comp of an underwater scene with lots of moving parts. I thought originally maybe the settings did not allow for as much movement/colours and so cut some of the detail off, but I'm just guessing.

Let me know if there are any more details needed and how I can find them. Again, any help would appreciated, I'm stumped on this one!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:48:36 pm

try turning off opengl before you render. it sometimes makes surprises that don't show up in a ram preview, only a render.

Return to posts index

chris brett
on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:28:00 am

- I also had weird problems once before with a tif file though not looking like this -

-- I assumed it was something to do with the way the comp was organised but when I converted the file to a targa the problem disappeared.

-- maybe this is the way forwrd ------ chris

===============================================

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:44:21 am

there's lot of compression options for tiff, I do know from extensive testing that tiff with LZW compression turned off is 100% lossless at trillions of colors. I haven't directly tested to see which compression is the buggiest though. Plus, try converting your h264 footage to uncompressed before rendering. That will fix codec bugs for sure. And heck, targa/PNG/PSD are also sometimes viable alternatives too.

Return to posts index

Jay Leahey
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:40:06 pm
Last Edited By Jay Leahey on Mar 13, 2014 at 5:14:58 pm

Cheers, I'll try everything suggested here. The goal is to re-import the TIFF sequence into after effects and render again as a video to take the load off my processor, which was having real problems rendering the whole comp straight away, so I'm using the TIFF sequence as a sort of middle-man to ease things. It worked fine until I noticed some of them hadn't rendered properly for whatever reason. Will rendering as targa/PSD etc allow me to do the same process as I have with the TIFFS? If so I'll try that and see if those formats solve it. Thanks everyone :)

Return to posts index

Jay Leahey
on Mar 15, 2014 at 1:28:32 pm
Last Edited By Jay Leahey on Mar 15, 2014 at 8:47:52 pm

Quick update: I have tried rendering out to a targa file and a straight up .AVI also, and it has the exact same problem. I'm beginning to think it's a problem with the objects in my comp itself even though they look fine in the After Effects preview window and on the timeline..

EDIT: Found the problem! It was something to do with the motion blur for the layer. I turned it off, and suddenly it is working perfectly. Not sure why exactly this would cause a problem, but either way it is fixed now. Hopefully this can help others out having similar problems..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]