ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Particular frustration

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew WoodsParticular frustration
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:29:15 pm

I am trying to get particles to emit from a layer grid in a random not burst fashion. Setting my emitter type to "Layer" gives me the look I want of particles appearing in non burst fashion from my layer, however the particles are too chaotically spaced. I want them appearing as if from a grid.

Setting my emitter type to "Layer Grid" gives me the exact particle start locations that I want, however particular ignores the particles/sec value and I only seem to have burst or transverse as an option.

I love particular, but it seems to have some weird limitations sometimes.

Any idea how to do this?

Need a quick break from motion graphics?
Try my game Constellation at:

Return to posts index

Mike SevignyRe: Particular frustration
by on Mar 16, 2014 at 2:24:48 pm

hey Matthew,
I've had the same problem. I was hoping someone would reply with an easy workaround but I think this is a limitation of particular in the current version. Depending on how big you need your grid you can make yourself a grig of lights and a series of particular layers driven by a single control layer.

If you're familiar with expressions you can us the Index to offset them and parent all your particular properties to a single layer with variance controls. This will take a little bit to setup but once it's up you'll be able to have full control. Plan it out before you write the expressions; the last thing you want to do is have to add a line to 200 layers. Give yourself control of the offset for the grid, maybe variance there too,etc.

That may sound like a good solution or a nightmare depending on your experience level and the scene you're building, but that's the only way I was able to do it.

Mike Sevigny
TorusFX Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved