ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Searching for the perfect AE laptop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shane Scott
Searching for the perfect AE laptop
on Mar 11, 2014 at 6:09:29 pm

Hi everyone, I need a very powerful laptop for after effects and I'm having a very hard time finding the perfect one. I use really heavy effects. I can spend up to $3000 and I want RAM previews to load as fast as possible. Any ideas?

what do you guys think of this laptop from http://www.adkvideoediting.com/laptop.asp with the following specs

Case ADK - 8600 HW: 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) LED Backlit LCD (Matte) Backlite
Power Supply Included
Processor Intel - i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz 6M cache Quad Core with HT (turbo to 3.7GHz)
Memory ADK - 32Gig (4x8gig) 1600 11-11-11-28 Sodimm Lifetime Warranty
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM
Recovery Software Paragon Backup & Recovery 12 Suite with ADK recovery Flash Drive.
OS/Programs Drive Samsung - 256 GB 840 Pro 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
Source Drive Western Digital - 750G 7200RPM Hard Drive 16meg cache 5 yr warranty
Render Drive None
Cache/Storage None
Removable Media None
External Raid none
Raid Controller None
FW/USB/e-Sata None
DVD-RW/BDR Included CD-RW/DVD read/write
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870MX w/6GB GDDR5
Video I/O None
NIC Included Wired 1GB and Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC and Blue Tooth 4.0
Mouse None
Warranty Standard 1 yr Parts and Labor Lifetime Tech Support
Converter None
Audio Interface None
Audio Software NONE
NLE Software NONE
Plug-ins/DSP NONE
Laptop
8600 HW Price: $2,832.00
Description: 15 and 17 inch 4nd Gen Intel (Haswell) Quad Core i5, i7 Laptop. up to 32 gig ram and 4 internal HDDs, on board TEXAS INSTRUMENTS FIREWIRE 400

can anyone recommend something better for around the same price or is this a really good system?

Return to posts index

George Goodman
Re: Searching for the perfect AE laptop
on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:29:00 pm

Are you willing to go mac? After I did, I never went back ;)

My Macbook Pro 2.3ghz i7 with 16gb of 1600MHz DDR3 and solid state drive is a beast. Loving the retina display.

"|_ (°_0) _|"

Sincerely,

George

Return to posts index

shane Scott
on Mar 11, 2014 at 9:45:39 pm

no im not willing to go mac haha

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:03:30 pm

[shane Scott] "can anyone recommend something better for around the same price or is this a really good system?"

That's a pretty good one because it supports a lot of RAM which is great for AE. You might want to check the HP Z-Books (I have the older Elitebook, it's great.) and the Dell mobile workstation line too.

Return to posts index

shane Scott
on Mar 11, 2014 at 9:50:41 pm

does this graphics card look good? it has a GeForce GTX 870MX but im not really seeing any info online about it, only the 870M. are they very similar?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:35:10 pm

Sorry, but compared to a desktop machine, the phrase "the perfect AE laptop" should read, "the least offensive laptop for AE".

It's a lot like asking, "What's the perfect Yugo to compete in Formula 1 racing?"

Laptops are needed for doing absolutely-necessary AE work when on the road; they're better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. But don't expect them to be equally capable as desktop machines. They lack what AE likes most: lots of fast processors, a boatload of memory, expansion slots and lots of fast storage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

shane Scott
on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:45:17 pm

actually now im really considering this msi (with i7-4900MQ), it looks PERFECT, what do you think? http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominatorpro888-p-6941.html?wconfigure=yes

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:06:41 pm

Those SDD's are pretty darn small. You'd run out of storage in 6 months. And double-check that the Nvidia card is approved for use in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

shane Scott
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:25:22 pm

Well it has 3 128GB SSDs which is 384gb PLUS 1TB 7200RPM (SATA III - 6GB/s).. I'v been surviving on just a terabyte and no SSDs my entire life. And the 880M isn't on the list of approved cards but they say the 880's a rebranded 780M which is on the list, also its brand new (maby they didnt add it yet). It should be fine right?

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:52:13 am

Here's a rundown on the new 800M -

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7834/nvidia-geforce-800m-lineup-battery-boost

Return to posts index

shane Scott
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:31:14 am

yep, according to that article the 880m is a slightly upgraded 780m, so i'm guessing it should work well..

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:55:29 pm

If you are sold on that config, the only thing I would suggest is upping the main harddrive to 240 or 256 gig. When you include OS, programs...128 might be tight.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:26:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:37:01 pm

You'd want to have a system drive, with just system files and application files.

Then you'd want to have a drive for user files: project files, media, what have you; in your machine's case, that might be TWO drives.

And you'd also want to have the ability to store more than you've used in the past on each drive. If you think file sizes aren't going to get bigger, think again: video cameras have gone from 1920x1080 to 8K in less than five years!

"Oh, but I won't need that much more, will I?"

Do you plan to REDUCE the number applications you run? Do you plan to create NOTHING in a resolution higher than HD? Will the volume of effects work you plan to do either go down or stay the same? Can you say with certainty that the applications you currently run will NOT require more storage to run in the near future?

Don't sell yourself short on storage: you are, after all, attempting to build as close to the perfect laptop for AE work as possible, n'est-ce-pas?

And don't count on internal storage to always be there. Plan to make backups for both externally.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:01:21 pm

I'd get the highest cpu processor I can afford even if it means breaking the bank a bit (in this case, the i7 4930MX). Reason is that with laptops, you cannot upgrade the cpu later, and I doubt if the MSI is any different.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

shane Scott
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:16:25 pm

@John Cuevas, it comes with not one but 3 128GB SSDs which is 384gb, that shouldn't be too bad right?

@Thomas Leong, you can replace the cpu on msi laptops and it doesnt seem like the performance boost from the i7-4900mq to the 4930mx is worth the $500..

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:17:46 pm

I saw how many SSD drives it has, 128 for your system & applications probably won't cut it. The other 2, I would use for Source/Assets Files, and probably render to the third. I'd use the TB for regular storage of assets.

And don't discount what Dave has mentioned, file sizes are only going to get larger and larger as we move from 2K to 8K.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]