ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

GHz or more cores

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olly LawerGHz or more cores
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:03:14 pm

Firstly, let me apologise if this post sounds similar to other posts I put up when we were buying our last PC. This one is very specific.

We have a new 16 core, 2.6 GHz PC (64GB RAM). All is good. It renders quickly (both RAM preview and export). This machine is excellent as a render doesn't render any quicker really for just playing things through (space bar).

We want to buy another machine and this one for specially playing comps through (not RAM preview) as close to real time as possible. I know AE isn't designed for this purpose, but I want to get as close to this idealistic situation as possible.

So my question - if we're not so worried about export times, should we be getting a single core very high GHz processor? Will this perform better?

We're thinking maybe PC again as a 12 core Mac Pro will surely have the same results as our PC?

Thank you.

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: GHz or more cores
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:11:27 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:58:35 pm

AE playing in realtime by just pushing the space bar? Dream on! AE is NOT an NLE, nor will it ever be. Heck, if you add enough layers of video to an NLE, it will choke, too.

When you become accustomed to the fact that AE was DESIGNED to be an effects and compositing application from the very beginning, and goes about its business under the assumption that any footage used in it will undergo very profound changes and has absolutely NO aspirations for real-time playback, life gets easier.

Just get used to RAM Previews... or make like Indiana Jones' father and spend your life looking for the Holy Grail. Or the Helm of Invincibility. Or the Spear of Fate. Or the Pulled Pork Sandwich Of Infinite Knowledge.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: GHz or more cores
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:32:29 pm

Even a 6 Core at 4.5GHz cannot playback realtime well with AE. The Ram preview is really the deciding factor here at more Cores/threads means better performance on average minus the FX and codecs that don't thread as well.

Tech Manager

Return to posts index

Jon DoughtieRe: GHz or more cores
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:54:29 pm

I WANT the pulled pork sandwich of infinite knowledge!

Return to posts index

Olly LawerRe: GHz or more cores
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:08:14 pm
Last Edited By Olly Lawer on Mar 11, 2014 at 7:09:35 pm

I got slammed ;).

As much as I'm partial to some pork and sandwiches and the two together sound rather appealing...the holy grail of AENLE is alas, a few years off(...or is it?)...I'm referring to this comment:

"After a LOT of research and phone conversations with Eric Bowen at ADK, I've come to the conclusion that a PC running Windows 7 or 8.1 and a i7 4930K over clocked to 4.5GHz with 64GB of ram will be the best thing for AE over more threads and a dual Xeon machine."

To which Adobe responded:

"Listen to James. He has this exactly right."

More cores is great for RAM preview, but what's best for playing stuff through on the timeline?

Olly Lawer

Return to posts index

EricBowenRe: GHz or more cores
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:49:39 pm
Last Edited By EricBowen on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:53:09 pm

Keep in mind James was deciding this based on FX and codecs he used. Some of his comps that we did comparison testing with threaded out completely and were better on 12 or more Cores. One of the comps I use for testing with 67 layers, a lot of PNG and Tiff files Renders out in 1.5 hours on a Dual 12 Core Xeon and around 3 hours on a 4.5GHz 6 core. Ram Preview performance will reflect that as well if you uncheck the box under Preferences/Multiprocessing that says use multiprocessing for Render queue only. That enables that for Ram Preview as well. The overall best configuration is really based on workflow for the specific editors. However the general rule overall is more cores/threads for AE.

Tech Manager

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved