ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

NTSC DV GFX Interlacing Issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin McDonald
NTSC DV GFX Interlacing Issue
on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:54:16 pm

Hello all,

I've created a lower third graphic that has a spinning circle and a moving line.

specs:
720 x 480, DV NTSC(0.91)
Drop frame

These settings match the video specs that I'm dropping it on top of in Premiere.

I'm outputting with the Loss With Alpha output module.

The problem I'm having is that whenever I output progressive, the graphic looks fine, but when I output with the Lower Field First option, I"m experiencing field issues on my output monitor.

That being said, I am fine to work with the progressive, but am curious as to why I can't output from AE properly to match my source settings.

Hopefully I was clear enough that someone can shed some light on this. Thanks.

Kevin.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: NTSC DV GFX Interlacing Issue
on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:04:42 pm

I bet your monitor is a computer monitor, and not a video monitor. You'll see the interlacing on a computer monitor.

Was the rest of the video footage in Premiere shot progressive scan? If so, you won't want interlacing in AE animation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin McDonald
on Mar 12, 2014 at 2:49:27 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for your response.

No, the interlacing isn't happening on my computer monitor. I have a professional broadcast monitor and I'm only seeing it there.

Also, all the footage is NTSC standard definition.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 12, 2014 at 4:48:37 pm

NTSC standard-def can be be SHOT either as interlaced -- the lower field is scanned & recorded first in time, then the upper field -- or progressive scan -- the entire frame is scanned at the same time, then recorded as two fields. Either scanning method employs two fields.

When you render out of AE using a specific field order, it mimics the behavior of an interlaced-scan camera. When you render out of AE using no field order, it mimics the behavior of a progressive scan camera.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like the video footage is progressive scan. Thus, render out of AE with a field order of None. It should be fine in Premiere.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin McDonald
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:20:03 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'm sorry I should have said that it was Lower Field First footage.

Through all the tests I've done I've discovered that regardless of the field order of the sequence in Premiere. When I'm rendering out of After effects, the only way I get a full quality graphic is if I export it as progressive.

For example, I did HD test of Upper, Lower and Progressive and compared. Both upper and lower had rounded any sharp edges therein.

My question now is what is the proper way to export graphics with an alpha channel from After Effects? I feel like I've tried everything with no solution.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 13, 2014 at 6:58:08 pm

Even if it is progressive-scan, it will be lower-field first. Two fields make one frame. 'Twas ever thus in SD.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]