ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric GuilianiMaking a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 1:25:59 pm

Hey Guys-

Coming from being a Flash developer years ago, I always wondered one thing. Is there a way to stop() or play() a composition like you can with a movieclip in Flash... preferably using Expressions?

Basically I have a short animation that I want to only play at certain times in the overall timeline. I want to just take that short animation, drop it on the timeline and use Expressions to make it play or stop on command. Is there a way to do this?

Any help or alternative methods appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:01:09 pm

That's going to be very, VERY tough. I can't say "IMPOSSIBLE" because I don't know enough. Since AE's sole purpose in life is to make media files to be used in a different application in the media production process -- i.e. NOT final delivery -- it concentrates on that doing so.

It sounds like you want to be able, once the render or export has started, to change its outcome with a keystroke. As far as I know, that ain't gonna happen.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric GuilianiRe: Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:04:06 pm

Hey Dave, I think you misunderstood. I'm sorry if it was hard to understand, especially for people that don't know Flash. What I am saying... is there a way to tell certain compositions to start and stop at different times while playing. So for instance, at say the 2:10 mark of playback, an Expression tells another comp to play its animation. Hope thats more clear.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:39:24 pm

Nope, in this instance AE works more like Premiere, Avid or FCP: you put your stuff into a comp in the order in which you want it done.

Just don't ever try to use AE like Premiere, Avid or FCP. It's like spitting into the wind.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:21:27 pm

Time Remapping may get you part of the way there. This gives you an animatable property that controls playback. It's hard to know exactly what your end goal is so I can't say for sure if it'll work.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Eric GuilianiRe: Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 8:23:20 pm

Thanks man. Thats what I ended up using. I could swear i once saw a tut on someone stopping and starting comps using expressions...

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Making a comp act like a Flash movieclip
by on Mar 12, 2014 at 5:24:25 am

You can apply expressions to time remapping but the implementation will depend entirely on what functionality you need and which limitations you're willing to accept.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]