ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How the hell we do that?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris VileHow the hell we do that?
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:48:55 pm
Last Edited By Chris Vile on Mar 10, 2014 at 10:11:22 pm

Holla Hombres,
I got a question running around on my mind since I saw this Spot a year ago.

How the hack did they created the changing dresses and Stuff? This is so AWESOME :)
Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mike SevignyRe: How the hell we do that?
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:04:05 am
Last Edited By Mike Sevigny on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:33:53 am

wow. very nice effect.

Firstly. If you're planning on recreating this effect, keep in mind that it's a spot for the Armed Forces of Germany so the budget is probably unthinkable. Now having said that, let's break it down and see how they did it.

Aside from the obvious greenscreen, notice how the characters' movements are very mechanical and their start and end positions are very precise. Also notice that the camera has no paralax and barely moves; this was shot static on a tripod. Although on the surface the video looks seamless, there is a cut for every wardrobe change. Take a close look at their faces and you'll see morph transitions from one shot to the other. Brilliantly done.

Each shot would have its own wardrobe as well as an A & B pose. The actors would have to change clothing, go to the last shot's B pose and move to the next (B) pose. There are cameras with features to help you match frames precisely but you can draw lines on the preview monitor (tape) and match the position for the next shot.

If you look closely at each object you'll see that they have a transition from when they are sharp to complete motion blurs as they fly out of frame. It doesn't look like there are 3D models in here, just deformation, animation and blur. Each object was treated individually.

For instance if you break up a jacket in 5 pieces and animate the pieces in different directions with motion blur revealing the next wardrobe it'll look pretty cool. So you'll want a still of the jacket on the exact frame that it's to start moving, cut it to pieces, put it back where it was and start animating.

You'll also want a clean plate of the table and chairs for the objects animated on the table.

This will take a long time for each object but you should spend a lot of time making the faces look perfect. More specifically the eyes, that's where everyone is looking.

I didn't really lay it out step by step but hopefully you can fill in the blanks. This is how I would have done it. Also remember that commercials like this are planned down to the edit on paper before ever going to camera. Thanks for sharing the video. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer.

Mike Sevigny
TorusFX Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris VileRe: How the hell we do that?
by on Mar 22, 2014 at 2:19:26 am

Hi Mike,
Thanks a lot for your Input!
I watched the Clip for about 1000 times and never seen that they were using a morph. Nice one, thanks.
Don't you think that it is really kind of an impossible thing to get the exactly same body/eye/mimic position twice again for a shot? Have tried that before and the result should i say...UGLY :D
But yeah this is army-stuff so agree with you, that they got big money/time/time/money for that!
When I got my next Trillion-Budget I'll try it :)
So thank you very much.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: How the hell we do that?
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 9:59:15 am

FreeForm V2 plus Flex could be an option:

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris VileRe: How the hell we do that?
by on Mar 22, 2014 at 2:23:42 am

Jo Ted,
You made my day/week and year! This effect is killing it! Thank you so much for your info.
Rock n Roll guys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved