ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Custom View 1 AE7 vs AE CS6

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alastair McKayCustom View 1 AE7 vs AE CS6
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:56:14 pm

Hi folks,

I've been looking at Steve Holmes' Total Training Pro for AE7. Although the videos are old, they cover the principles pretty well since I'm using AE CS6 and the video tuorials are used with AE7.

The thing is, when following the tutorial section on 3D there is a difference between what I see and what Steve Holmes shows in his example.

When he selects Custom view 1 the starfield (from the Stars.mov layer) fills the entire comp viewer and the Compass.ai file is clearly visible.
0_steve_holmes.jpg

When I follow exactly his moves I get a blank white screen.
0_ai-file-selected.jpg

I only see the outline and the 3 axis if I highlight the layer.

If I make the stars.mov layer a 3D layer, the Comp viewer shows it in 3D, but not filling the screen?
0_mov-3d-layer.jpg

Is this is a version issue, does anyone know what is causing the difference? If not, how do I replicate his view?

Regards.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Custom View 1 AE7 vs AE CS6
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 12:23:36 am

Custom and orthographic views will not show 2D layers if there are 3D layers at the CTI (current time indicator / playhead).

I imagine you are seeing white because that is the background color of your comp. If you click the transparency grid toggle under the viewer, you will see a checkerboard pattern instead at the transparent areas.

The custom views can be repositioned with the camera tools, so you can get in tighter.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alastair McKayRe: Custom View 1 AE7 vs AE CS6
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 11:06:09 am

Thank you for you reply Walter.

You are indeed correct the base layer of the AE 7 comp is white. To verify I created a new comp with a black background in AE CS6 and of course now when I view the files in Custom View 1, there is a black background. I don't understand though your comment:

"Custom and orthographic views will not show 2D layers if there are 3D layers at the CTI"

I found my old copy of AE7, installed it and found that I can recreate what Steve Holmes in his tutorial intended. As you can see from the screenshot there are two active layers.

When I make the compass.ai file a 3D layer, the untouched 2D Stars.mov fills the entire comp viewer.

This again is AE CS6 with exactly the same project files with exactly the same settings.

This goes back to my original question. Clearly there are differences on how AE 7 and AE CS6 handles and displays the older tutorial files. What I am trying to acertain is What are those differences so I can amend them accordingly, so I can follow the rest of the tutorials.

Regards.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Custom View 1 AE7 vs AE CS6
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:33:42 pm

[Alastair McKay] "I don't understand though your comment: "Custom and orthographic views will not show 2D layers if there are 3D layers at the CTI""

The custom views (Custom View 1, Custom View 2, Custom View 3) and the orthographic views (Front, Left, Top, Back, Right, Bottom) will currently only show 2D layers when there are no 3D layers at the CTI (current time indicator or playhead). In other words, when using one of these specific views, if there are any 3D layers in the scene at the current time, then the 2D layers will be hidden.

As you note, this is different behavior than what you were seeing with AE7. I'm not sure when that changed or why.

Ordinary camera views will still show 2D layers when there are 3D layers in the scene. You could use one of them as a workaround.

[Alastair McKay] "This goes back to my original question. Clearly there are differences on how AE 7 and AE CS6 handles and displays the older tutorial files. What I am trying to acertain is What are those differences so I can amend them accordingly, so I can follow the rest of the tutorials."

Ae CS6 is version 11. There are four major versions and six years of development separating AE7 and Ae CS6.

There are bound to be some differences, and while finding information about the major features is easy, I don't know of any comprehensive resource that would list all the minor behavior changes across versions.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alastair McKayRe: Custom View 1 AE7 vs AE CS6
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:45:10 pm

Thank you for your replies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved