ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Question on Aligning Elements

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean lloydQuestion on Aligning Elements
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:53:33 am

This seems like a fairly simple task to do, but obviously I’m not experienced to realize it. I have been having problems resolving how to create 3d characters and then add backgrounds to them that are moving. AE won’t let me import 3d objects and other programs such as Poser, (which is what I’ve been using) won’t output camera tracking information, nor will it let me add a photo that its camera will treat as a 3d element. So what I’ve done is create a still figure that has a camera crane type of motion on it, (starts with a high angle close up, then cranes back and up to reveal the photo, some sea cliffs below that the figure is supposed to appear to be standing on)

My issue is that I’m having trouble lining up the cliffs with the camera move I created in Poser. The figure doesn’t stay in place, so appears to slide on the cliffs.

What I have tried so far is to keyframe a scale change on the cliff picture so it appear to get father away. I have also tried some camera tracking and time re-mapping to keep the speed and anchoring correct, but can’t seem to get it quite right.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to lock the .mov of the figure to the .jpg of the cliff or some other technique to resolve this?

Also, I am currently only working with 2D elements.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions or instructions. I can’t tell you how much of have come to appreciate the generosity of forums like this. Cheers...Ian

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Question on Aligning Elements
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:16:02 am

You can export your animation as a animated obj sequence, import that in Element 3D and create the camera move straight in AE.
Or you can use C4D.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

sean lloydRe: Question on Aligning Elements
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 10:53:34 am

I was interested in that, but haven't heard very good things about it. Particularly that it is very picky with video cards and I am not on their list at present. Have you been using it? Do you like it and if so, do you have a very high end computer set-up because I am still on an older Mac at present.

Thanks for the response, Ted. Your info is always really good....

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Question on Aligning Elements
by on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:25:37 am

I had no issues with Element 3d - if anything I was always impressed with the speed of it. I am not sure if it will work on your machine, but I have a 3yrs old Alienware MX 17 R2 with ATI/AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5800 and that works just fine.
You could try rendering out the camera move from Poser with just 3 flat cards that have crosses on them - that will make it easy to track and get a 3d camera move in AE. From then you will need to match the same position of your elements (make sure that you know where the Poser figure is). Then you can create a 3d background with 2d cards positioned in space ( sky far away, rock/mountain where the Poser character should be, maybe some foreground elements). You can also enhance the look and feel of the 2d elements by using Freeform or FreeForm Pro to give volume to the rock for example.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved