ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Unopenable projects after crash

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mr dirden
Unopenable projects after crash
on Mar 7, 2014 at 3:57:06 pm

Hey there,

Have been experiencing some serious crashes in AE and mocha (I think it's openGL connected). After every crash, the project file, all of it's auto saves and all of it's manually backups (copy of...) are not openable. AE won't open them, nor import them. It just freezes (not responding...)

I don't wanna start it all from the beginning AGAIN. I've sent some files to a friend, he says he can open the projects, but of course sees no media. So it's not that the files really went corrupted... (why would ALL of the auto saves and backups go corrupted at once??)

I've tried resetting my Nvidia driver one step back to an older one. I've tried deleting AE pref file. Nothing helped. Any Ideas...?

Thanx

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
Re: Unopenable projects after crash
on Mar 7, 2014 at 4:36:57 pm

I agree, it's clearly not the project files themselves, something went wonky with AE. If it's an issue with your card as you suspect, then maybe try removing it from the OGL and Raytracer supported cards lists so AE doesn't use the card when it starts up.

On PC they're here:
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files

ogl_unsupported_cards.txt

raytracer_supported_cards.txt

Erik Waluska
EAWmedia

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:00:19 pm

Try starting a new project and importing one of the .AEP files into the new project. This works for me sometimes.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:19:00 pm

There is almost NO good reason in the world to use Open GL in AE. Turn it off.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:51:29 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "There is almost NO good reason in the world to use Open GL in AE. Turn it off."

This is version-dependent. CS5.5 and earlier have a crummy, test-quality OpenGL renderer. Leaving this off is always a good idea. That renderer was removed in later version.

CS6 and up use OpenGL to draw the interface, not to try to render the scene (fast draft of ray-traced scenes excepted). Of course, some effects also rely on OpenGL.

More info here:
http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/05/gpu-cuda-opengl-features-in-aft...

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

mr dirden
on Mar 7, 2014 at 6:32:19 pm

Thanks everyone.

So:

1. Erik - My Gt530 isn't supported for raytracing anyway. I inserted it to the UNsupported OGL cards - and it did something. Trying to load the project, it loaded 79% instead of 10% like before, but still crashed.

2. John - I already tried importing, it didn't work for me.

3. Dave - as far as I know I can't turn OGL off in AE cS6...

:-/

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Mar 7, 2014 at 7:47:18 pm

Your friend was able to open the project without assets, perhaps one of the assets in your project is corrupted. I would take all of the assets and move them into a different folder and see if you can get the project to open. If it opens, start returning the assets and try to isolate what might be corrupted.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]