ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

file size ? from render queue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Wolfram
file size ? from render queue
on Mar 6, 2014 at 7:38:53 pm

I did a search and found some dated threads to this question so allow me to ask again. I'm using after effects cs 6 and I'm trying to find out if there is way to know my file size of a project in the render queue without a trial and error approach?

Even if it's a rough estimation is there a mathematical formula using it's dimensions such as 4096x2304 20seconds at 24fps quicktime photojpg?

I thought there was a way in after effects to know the file size prior to rendering.

Any insights would be welcome.

thanks, jeff

-------
Architectural & Interior Photographer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: file size ? from render queue
on Mar 6, 2014 at 7:57:54 pm

[Jeff Wolfram] "I'm using after effects cs 6 and I'm trying to find out if there is way to know my file size of a project in the render queue without a trial and error approach?"

The answer is: it depends. Different codecs work differently.

Some codecs used constant bit rate encoding (or tightly-constrained variable bit rate). For these, each frame is expected to have about the same data size, so the file size is predictable -- but the quality of the compression can vary in order to achieve that.

Other codecs use quality-based encoding, which strives for constant quality at the expense of predictable bit-rate.

Others may not fall into either of these categories; for example, "Uncompressed" is both constant bit rate and constant quality.

[Jeff Wolfram] "Even if it's a rough estimation is there a mathematical formula using it's dimensions such as 4096x2304 20seconds at 24fps quicktime photojpg?"

PhotoJPEG uses quality-based compression, so the size of the output is dependent on the source material.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]