ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Convert 29.97 NTSC Mini DV Footage for 23.976/1080p Project

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome CarolfiConvert 29.97 NTSC Mini DV Footage for 23.976/1080p Project
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 7:40:24 am

I'm combining various video source material for a 1080p 23.976 documentary. I'm wondering if anyone has advice for up-resing and frame rate converting mini DV footage shot at 720x480/29.97?

If After Effects CC is the tool I have available, what would be the best technique to use to achieve my desired output?

Return to posts index

Mike SevignyRe: Convert 29.97 NTSC Mini DV Footage for 23.976/1080p Project
by on Mar 11, 2014 at 4:33:25 am

Hey Jerome,

29.97 > 23.976
You can detinterlace your footage into 23.976 in After Effects. In your project panel right click on your footage and click on interpret footage > main. In here you'll be able to interpret your pulldown. After Effects can guess but you can also set the pulldown order manually. After Effects is one of the better solutions for deinterlacing but if you don't have it there are free apps out there.

I've had no success upresing in After Effects. I've tried many plugins and techniques within After Effects but to no avail. I'd love to hear from some of the pros on here if they have had more success. The only thing I've seen work is a hardware upres. I've also filmed an HD monitor with an HD camera but it wasn't perfect.

Download a trial of After Effects and some sample miniDV footage to try it out. If you know what camera is being used you can likely find some raw files on forums.

Good luck,

Mike Sevigny
TorusFX Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved