ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3d Cube matte transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Chisholm3d Cube matte transition
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:33:34 am

Hello Creative Cow Community,

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about motion graphics and how to make professional looking compositions. As part of this process, I'm attempting to recreate a number of motion graphics I see on the internet.

I recently came across an opening graphic for a video that impressed me, and I wanted to try and recreate it; the concept seemed simple enough. However, I'm having a difficult time actually producing the effect in the video. So I thought perhaps someone here could help me.

The effect at question is the following video, taking up the first 13 seconds.

The goal of the project is to be able to make a "wall" of 3d cubes, with each side of the cube being a matte to a different composition. Additionally, each cube would matte a different section of the composition. I know that the cubes in the video are a matte and not just a separate section of a composition because the image that is revealed doesn't move or rotate when the cubes do.

I'm able to produce the cube effect easy enough. I create a composition with only the cube in it, and color the front and back sides white, and all the other sides black. I put the cube composition into another, luma matte it with the image or composition I want, and then only the white sides show up, revealing the composition. Then, I duplicate the cube layer, apply an invert effect (so the front and back are now black, and the other sides are white), and then luma it with a different composition.

So my requests are the following:

1. Is there an easier way to recreate the cube matte transition effect in the video above than the way I described without using a plugin?
2. Near the end of the motion graphic in the video, when the last screen is revealed, the cubes transition from center to border in a very organized fashion, but up until that point they were seemingly random, meaning the cube layers weren't just randomized and displaced. How can you replicate that orderly transition? (appears at 8 seconds in)

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Ridley WalkerRe: 3d Cube matte transition
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:55:04 am

Broadcast Gems has a template that can save you a lot of time.

Return to posts index

Michael ChisholmRe: 3d Cube matte transition
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:08:12 am

Thank you for the link. The plugin looks interesting, but using a template or plugin would defeat the purpose of recreating a project to learn.

I may opt for that if I can't find a manual solution. I'm not even sure if the project can be done without a plugin. What I'm most interested in is what techniques or expressions I can use to create the effects illustrated in the video.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Tim VaughanRe: 3d Cube matte transition
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:23:46 pm

This effect was most likely done in an external 3d program. I'm not sure if you'd be able to recreate it in C4d lite, but it can be done in C4d. Here's this:

Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Michael ChisholmRe: 3d Cube matte transition
by on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:58:43 pm

Thanks for the response.

After reviewing the tutorial, I can pretty much safely assume the effect was done using a 3d program, seeing how smoothly and easily the cubes rotated in the tutorial. The falloff effect was also most likely used at the end to do the center-border reveal.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3d program at the moment, so I'm still going to attempt to recreate everything in After Effects, but for the most part my question was answered.

Thanks for the help guys.

Return to posts index

Aleksey TarasovRe: 3d Cube matte transition
by on Mar 10, 2014 at 8:39:36 pm

Yes, you need 3D software.
Take a look at Transquare. This pack was created in Cinema 4D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved