ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM preview showing old imagery in destroyed output.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Nielsen
RAM preview showing old imagery in destroyed output.
on Mar 5, 2014 at 3:50:54 pm
Last Edited By Michael Nielsen on Mar 5, 2014 at 3:57:34 pm

Hey all.

Has anyone else experienced this? Apologies if it has happened since v.1. Im on a pc, so ram previews are preferably rendered in .avi.

http://www.vredefilm.net/HP_REVID/render_crazy.png

So I did a ram render of some work that I just wanted out asap. The frames are icky and riddled with errors. But what struck me as completely absurd was that there were frames in the output from an entirely different job and project.

Can anyone explain what is going on, and how I might avoid those icky ram preview renders?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: RAM preview showing old imagery in destroyed output.
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:41:14 pm

It's tough to say, because we know very little about your machine, third-party cards in it, precise versions of OS & software, the media containers & codecs footage you're using... there are so many combinations of these factors that can give AE fits that it's tough to diagnose.

So let's start with a recommendation that's just a shot in the dark: Restart your machine and trash your AE preferences.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Nielsen
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:54:11 pm
Last Edited By Michael Nielsen on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:56:08 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. Trashing prefs did not resolve the issue.

I am running a Windows 7, i7 2600K hyperthreaded, tho I dont use multiprocessing for internal renders, 32gb ram and an array of nas, local drives and ssdĀ“s. Dual gtx670 cards, but the preview is not rendered with raytracing enabled. Latest CC-update.

The issue is more of an output than an input based one. Everything I import, ranging from .ai, psd and jpg-files to camera and output based .mxf, .mov, .mp4, etc. has presented this issue, but only if the ram render output is an .avi container. Mp4, mxf, mp2 and image sequences fly just fine, but some are of course sorely missing in depth and so on.

I just want a complete lossless translation of the ram-preview and I want it in .avi. But the issue persists. Is it possible that the .avi becomes so big that its choking my pipeline?

Return to posts index

Ridley Walker
on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:04:46 am

[Michael Nielsen] " there were frames in the output from an entirely different job and project."

Very likely due to the media and disk cache retaining frames from previous RAM previews. Try emptying the caches, go to Preferences > Media and Disk Cache and click Empty Disk Cache, then click Clean Database and Cache.

Return to posts index

Michael Nielsen
on Mar 6, 2014 at 2:41:53 pm

Thanks for the input. The odd thing is, if I use another codec, say h.264, for the preview render, it flies just fine. I only have this issue with .avi.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 6, 2014 at 10:12:43 pm

[Michael Nielsen] "Thanks for the input. The odd thing is, if I use another codec, say h.264, for the preview render, it flies just fine. I only have this issue with .avi."

None of this should be happening -- especially that nonsense with the cached frames.

Would you consider filing a bug report [link]?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]